Sharing a cable modem - Routers

This is a discussion on Sharing a cable modem - Routers ; Well, I've just spent two hours at my neighbour's house trying to get her home network working. She has a cable modem, which was originally USB connected. She bought a D-link DSL wireless router and asked me to enable her ...

  1. Sharing a cable modem

    Well, I've just spent two hours at my neighbour's house trying to get
    her home network working.

    She has a cable modem, which was originally USB connected. She bought a
    D-link DSL wireless router and asked me to enable her son's laptop for
    the internet.

    Well, I unplugged the USB cable and networked the computer to the
    router and the router to the modem and the desktop worked OK i.e. it
    found the internet.

    But the laptop was a different matter. I could get it to see the router
    and login to it but not find the internet.

    What DHCP and DNS settings do I need for this kind of set up? I'm a bit
    lost.

    Recap:
    UK Cable Internet via proprietary modem (NTL).
    Cat 5 cable from this to D-Link DSL modem/Wireless router (no DSL
    connected, just using this as a router)
    Cat 5 cable from this to Ethernet card in computer
    Separate notebook with matching D-link USB wireless dongle.

    So what router settings?
    Thanks
    al

  2. Re: Sharing a cable modem

    First try connecting the laptop via cable to see if it can see/access the
    internet, that way you'll narrow it either a laptop problem, or a wireless
    problem. If its the laptop, play around with the network card settings in
    both DHCP and static modes. Of course, check that DHCP is running on the
    router and that the Wireless is turned on (most ship turned off by default)
    If its wireless problem, disable any wireless security you may have
    implemented and see if you can see/connect to the wLAN that way and access
    the internet.
    Another thing to check is what is handling the wireless connection, the
    d-link card software or windows, try toggling between them both and seeing
    which one is the most convenient, I've had a few clients that have tried
    running it on the software provided and as soon as that was disabled and
    Windows was handling the connectivity everything was peachy.

    Compare an IpConfig readout from the laptop and desktop and see if they're
    running the same gateway IP address (feel free to paste it in here too if I
    don't see it someone else reading the thread could and follow up)

    wrote in message
    news:1156108487.169461.274780@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Well, I've just spent two hours at my neighbour's house trying to get
    > her home network working.
    >
    > She has a cable modem, which was originally USB connected. She bought a
    > D-link DSL wireless router and asked me to enable her son's laptop for
    > the internet.
    >
    > Well, I unplugged the USB cable and networked the computer to the
    > router and the router to the modem and the desktop worked OK i.e. it
    > found the internet.
    >
    > But the laptop was a different matter. I could get it to see the router
    > and login to it but not find the internet.
    >
    > What DHCP and DNS settings do I need for this kind of set up? I'm a bit
    > lost.
    >
    > Recap:
    > UK Cable Internet via proprietary modem (NTL).
    > Cat 5 cable from this to D-Link DSL modem/Wireless router (no DSL
    > connected, just using this as a router)
    > Cat 5 cable from this to Ethernet card in computer
    > Separate notebook with matching D-link USB wireless dongle.
    >
    > So what router settings?
    > Thanks
    > al

+ Reply to Thread