sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible - Routers

This is a discussion on sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible - Routers ; Because of some other configuration trouble I had the idea to "widen" the network mask of my router from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, beleiving that instead of a class C network I would be able to address a class B network ...

  1. sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Because of some other configuration trouble I had the idea to "widen"
    the network mask of my router from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0,
    beleiving that instead of a class C network I would be able to address a
    class B network instead.

    My reasoning was only partially correct. The route still works and it
    responds to pings on its LAN-side ethernet port. Unfortunately its web
    server does not respond any more since I stored the changed network mask
    to its configuration settings.

    This is a big problem, because this is the ONLY access to the
    configuration (not telnet, no SSH, no serial port). Obviously there is
    no means to revert to factory settings. Seems that I have to throw it
    away and buy a new router.

    My last hope: somebody knows some unpublishe way to reach the configuration.

    Eberhard Spittler
    [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  2. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Usually there is a reset button which you usually have to press with a
    drawing pin on the back or bottom of the unit.

    Check your instruction manual. It may need to just have the power rapidly
    flicked off and on maybe.

    It doesnt sound right to have no form of factory default function.

    "Eberhard Spittler" wrote in message
    > Because of some other configuration trouble I had the idea to "widen" the
    > network mask of my router from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, beleiving
    > that instead of a class C network I would be able to address a class B
    > network instead.
    >
    > My reasoning was only partially correct. The route still works and it
    > responds to pings on its LAN-side ethernet port. Unfortunately its web
    > server does not respond any more since I stored the changed network mask
    > to its configuration settings.
    >
    > This is a big problem, because this is the ONLY access to the
    > configuration (not telnet, no SSH, no serial port). Obviously there is no
    > means to revert to factory settings. Seems that I have to throw it away
    > and buy a new router.
    >
    > My last hope: somebody knows some unpublishe way to reach the
    > configuration.
    >
    > --

    > Eberhard Spittler
    > [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  3. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Try setting an internal static on your computer using the new Subnet Mask
    255.255.0.0 and then see if you can log in.
    "Eberhard Spittler" wrote in message
    > Because of some other configuration trouble I had the idea to "widen" the
    > network mask of my router from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0, beleiving
    > that instead of a class C network I would be able to address a class B
    > network instead.
    >
    > My reasoning was only partially correct. The route still works and it
    > responds to pings on its LAN-side ethernet port. Unfortunately its web
    > server does not respond any more since I stored the changed network mask
    > to its configuration settings.
    >
    > This is a big problem, because this is the ONLY access to the
    > configuration (not telnet, no SSH, no serial port). Obviously there is no
    > means to revert to factory settings. Seems that I have to throw it away
    > and buy a new router.
    >
    > My last hope: somebody knows some unpublishe way to reach the
    > configuration.
    >
    > --

    > Eberhard Spittler
    > [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  4. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Ray Taylor schrieb:
    > Usually there is a reset button which you usually have to press with a
    > drawing pin on the back or bottom of the unit.

    The reset button just restarts the routers OS.

    > Check your instruction manual. It may need to just have the power rapidly
    > flicked off and on maybe.
    >
    > It doesnt sound right to have no form of factory default function.

    Correct!

    Eberhard Spittler
    [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  5. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Bruce schrieb:
    > Try setting an internal static on your computer using the new Subnet Mask
    > 255.255.0.0 and then see if you can log in.

    I had done that in 2 ways (both don't help):

    - manually configured subnet on a dedicated ethernet adapter, which
    doesn't serve any other purpose;

    - DHCP configured subnet on a dedicated ethernet adapter, which doesn't
    serve any other purpose; The malfunctioning router was the DHCP server
    (hence no mistake should be possible).

    According to the manual, I have the impression that only network masks
    255.255.255.0 are allowed. Then of course the question arises, why the
    configuration interface has allowed me to modify this to something
    different before it locked my out.

    Eberhard Spittler
    [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  6. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    try downloading and installing a firmware update, or the same one that is
    installed from site com wed site
    regards

  7. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    temp schrieb:
    > try downloading and installing a firmware update, or the same one that is
    > installed from site com wed site
    > regards

    Right: that's an idea!

    I had it before and downloaded a new firmware version already (1 digit
    higher than the one installed), but could not find the flashing software
    any more. I will have to search again.

    Eberhard Spittler
    [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

  8. Re: sitecom DC-200: configuration no longer possible

    Ray Taylor schrieb:
    > Usually there is a reset button which you usually have to press with a
    > drawing pin on the back or bottom of the unit.
    >
    > Check your instruction manual. It may need to just have the power rapidly
    > flicked off and on maybe.

    After long searching I found the following, which helped:

    1) Power OFF the device
    2) set dip switch 1 to ON
    3) power ON
    4) within 15 seconds the following procedure:
    set dip switch 1 OFF - ON - OFF.

    Then the network mask and the LAN IP address will reset to defaults; the
    rest remains.

    This worked and the solution is indeed clever, as the mass of
    personalized configurations is not lost. Afte I did this the embedded
    web server worked again and the configuration interface could be reached
    again.

    Thanks to all who offered their suggestions!

    Eberhard Spittler
    [ Spämm geht in's Nirwana, Adresse funktioniert aber ]

+ Reply to Thread