Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router - Routers ; I currently have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router in my current home. A desktop PC running WinXP is hardwired and a laptop also running WinXP roams. I am moving to a home that has been prewired with Cat5 cable in ...

  1. Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router

    I currently have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router in my current
    home. A desktop PC running WinXP is hardwired and a laptop also
    running WinXP roams. I am moving to a home that has been
    prewired with Cat5 cable in all the rooms. I want to add a
    second desktop PC in a remote part of the house. Using a
    wireless connection will probably reflect degraded performance
    due to physical location and distance between the PC and the
    router. As each room already has an ethernet jack, is there some
    way I can connect the remote PC to the router using the built-in
    wiring?

  2. Re: Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router

    Alan wrote:
    > I currently have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router in my current home. A
    > desktop PC running WinXP is hardwired and a laptop also running WinXP
    > roams. I am moving to a home that has been prewired with Cat5 cable in
    > all the rooms. I want to add a second desktop PC in a remote part of
    > the house. Using a wireless connection will probably reflect degraded
    > performance due to physical location and distance between the PC and the
    > router. As each room already has an ethernet jack, is there some way I
    > can connect the remote PC to the router using the built-in wiring?

    I should have added that the router is connected via cable modem
    (Comcast ISP) using DHCP.

  3. Re: Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router

    All of the cat5 jacks have to terminate somewhere, probably at a terminal
    board. You just need to plug a cat5 cable from a router LAN port into the
    terminal board number that corresponds with the room jack of the pc, and
    another cat5 from that room jack, to the pc's Ethernet port

    "Alan" wrote in message
    news:9JednfJCMco1f3nZnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Alan wrote:
    >> I currently have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router in my current home. A
    >> desktop PC running WinXP is hardwired and a laptop also running WinXP
    >> roams. I am moving to a home that has been prewired with Cat5 cable in
    >> all the rooms. I want to add a second desktop PC in a remote part of the
    >> house. Using a wireless connection will probably reflect degraded
    >> performance due to physical location and distance between the PC and the
    >> router. As each room already has an ethernet jack, is there some way I
    >> can connect the remote PC to the router using the built-in wiring?

    > I should have added that the router is connected via cable modem (Comcast
    > ISP) using DHCP.

  4. Re: Using Pre-Wired CAT 5 Cable in Home With A Router

    RBM wrote:
    > All of the cat5 jacks have to terminate somewhere, probably at a terminal
    > board. You just need to plug a cat5 cable from a router LAN port into the
    > terminal board number that corresponds with the room jack of the pc, and
    > another cat5 from that room jack, to the pc's Ethernet port
    >

    > "Alan" wrote in message
    > news:9JednfJCMco1f3nZnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> I currently have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router in my current home. A
    >>> desktop PC running WinXP is hardwired and a laptop also running WinXP
    >>> roams. I am moving to a home that has been prewired with Cat5 cable in
    >>> all the rooms. I want to add a second desktop PC in a remote part of the
    >>> house. Using a wireless connection will probably reflect degraded
    >>> performance due to physical location and distance between the PC and the
    >>> router. As each room already has an ethernet jack, is there some way I
    >>> can connect the remote PC to the router using the built-in wiring?

    >> I should have added that the router is connected via cable modem (Comcast
    >> ISP) using DHCP.

    I new it had to be simple. Thx

+ Reply to Thread