WAN & LAN same Access - Routers

This is a discussion on WAN & LAN same Access - Routers ; HI, I have a Zyxel 660HW-I ADSL Router and on the LAN side I have a Web-server installed and also a Mail-server. Until now I accessed the Mail-Server and the Web Pages form the LAN using the local IP Numbers ...

  1. WAN & LAN same Access

    HI,
    I have a Zyxel 660HW-I ADSL Router and on the LAN side I have a Web-server
    installed and also a Mail-server. Until now I accessed the Mail-Server and
    the Web Pages form the LAN using the local IP Numbers (192.168.1.xx) and
    outside (WAN) usign my dynamic IP-address. Now I have a Laptop that I use
    both at home and at work and I wold like to use always my WAN IP Address
    also to access my Mail and the Web pages from the LAN. How do I have to set
    my router?

    Thanks for your help

    Gian Carlo

  2. Re: WAN & LAN same Access

    You could use a dynamic dns service and set your router to connect/update it
    with whatever your IP happens to be at that time, then you could simply
    connect that way. I'm assuming you're using just a standard email client to
    connect to the mail server and web server?
    If you're thinking about remote access (RDP or the like) then that might be
    a bit tricky on a windows environment as you can only port forward 3389 to
    one internal IP address, unless you wanted to double RDP (ie. connect to one
    server, then remote connect to any inside the LAN).
    If you're talking *nix then you could simply connect on different ports.

    E.

    "Gian Carlo" wrote in message
    > HI,
    > I have a Zyxel 660HW-I ADSL Router and on the LAN side I have a Web-server
    > installed and also a Mail-server. Until now I accessed the Mail-Server and
    > the Web Pages form the LAN using the local IP Numbers (192.168.1.xx) and
    > outside (WAN) usign my dynamic IP-address. Now I have a Laptop that I use
    > both at home and at work and I wold like to use always my WAN IP Address
    > also to access my Mail and the Web pages from the LAN. How do I have to
    > set my router?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gian Carlo

  3. Re: WAN & LAN same Access

    Hi EvilNem,
    I already have a dyndns service that give me always the right IP. My problem
    is that inside my LAN network I have to use the local IP assigned to the
    WEB-SERVER (192.168.1.xx) machine or to the Mail-SERVER machine to access
    it and I can't use the public IP given by the dyndns service to access it
    like I wold access it from the WAN. How can I tell the Zyxel Router that if
    I use my public IP address from inside my LAN it should re-route the
    connection internally to the requested service?

    Thanks

    Gian Carlo

    "EvilNem" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > You could use a dynamic dns service and set your router to connect/update
    > it with whatever your IP happens to be at that time, then you could simply
    > connect that way. I'm assuming you're using just a standard email client
    > to connect to the mail server and web server?
    > If you're thinking about remote access (RDP or the like) then that might
    > be a bit tricky on a windows environment as you can only port forward 3389
    > to one internal IP address, unless you wanted to double RDP (ie. connect
    > to one server, then remote connect to any inside the LAN).
    > If you're talking *nix then you could simply connect on different ports.
    >
    > E.
    >
    > "Gian Carlo" wrote in message
    >> HI,
    >> I have a Zyxel 660HW-I ADSL Router and on the LAN side I have a
    >> Web-server installed and also a Mail-server. Until now I accessed the
    >> Mail-Server and the Web Pages form the LAN using the local IP Numbers
    >> (192.168.1.xx) and outside (WAN) usign my dynamic IP-address. Now I have
    >> a Laptop that I use both at home and at work and I wold like to use
    >> always my WAN IP Address also to access my Mail and the Web pages from
    >> the LAN. How do I have to set my router?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> Gian Carlo

  4. Re: WAN & LAN same Access

    I'm not sure you can do that as the zyxel will only route one port to one
    internal IP address.
    ie. if you connect on port 3389 to your public IP address, you can only
    route that to the Web server OR the mail server, you can't discriminate
    between the two, which is why I suggested you'd probably have to double hop
    the remote connection. ie port forward to one server, then login remotely to
    the other server once you are inside the LAN.

    Alternatively you could setup a VPN connection to connect through to an
    internal authetication server and connect to IP address of either server
    that way.

    E.

    "Gian Carlo" wrote in message
    > Hi EvilNem,
    > I already have a dyndns service that give me always the right IP. My
    > problem is that inside my LAN network I have to use the local IP assigned
    > to the WEB-SERVER (192.168.1.xx) machine or to the Mail-SERVER machine to
    > access it and I can't use the public IP given by the dyndns service to
    > access it like I wold access it from the WAN. How can I tell the Zyxel
    > Router that if I use my public IP address from inside my LAN it should
    > re-route the connection internally to the requested service?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gian Carlo
    >

    > "EvilNem" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> You could use a dynamic dns service and set your router to connect/update
    >> it with whatever your IP happens to be at that time, then you could
    >> simply connect that way. I'm assuming you're using just a standard email
    >> client to connect to the mail server and web server?
    >> If you're thinking about remote access (RDP or the like) then that might
    >> be a bit tricky on a windows environment as you can only port forward
    >> 3389 to one internal IP address, unless you wanted to double RDP (ie.
    >> connect to one server, then remote connect to any inside the LAN).
    >> If you're talking *nix then you could simply connect on different ports.
    >>
    >> E.
    >>
    >> "Gian Carlo" wrote in message
    >>> HI,
    >>> I have a Zyxel 660HW-I ADSL Router and on the LAN side I have a
    >>> Web-server installed and also a Mail-server. Until now I accessed the
    >>> Mail-Server and the Web Pages form the LAN using the local IP Numbers
    >>> (192.168.1.xx) and outside (WAN) usign my dynamic IP-address. Now I have
    >>> a Laptop that I use both at home and at work and I wold like to use
    >>> always my WAN IP Address also to access my Mail and the Web pages from
    >>> the LAN. How do I have to set my router?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>>
    >>> Gian Carlo

+ Reply to Thread