Using 2 routers with my laptop??? - Routers

This is a discussion on Using 2 routers with my laptop??? - Routers ; I have a IBM t40p using WinXP SP2. It has a builtin WIFI (802.11b) (this is DISABLED right now) I have a DI-524 AirPlus G wireless router located UPSTAIRS connected to the internet and my kids computer. I am using ...

  1. Using 2 routers with my laptop???

    I have a IBM t40p using WinXP SP2. It has a builtin WIFI (802.11b) (this is
    DISABLED right now)

    I have a DI-524 AirPlus G wireless router located UPSTAIRS connected to the
    internet and my kids computer. I am using a LINKSYS PCMCI card (Wireless-G
    Notebook Adapter ver.4.0 - not sure of the exact model, and don't want to
    pull it out right now) to connect to this. All of this is working fine
    DI-524 is configured as 192.168.1.1

    Now....
    I have a new printer. It has USB, para and ethernet support. Due to sume
    reason, my USB does not work with this printer... I have had the printer
    connected to the DI-254 upstairs, but I want to have it downstairs. Para
    connection is not really viable for me.

    What I would LIKE to do, is to use a LINKSYS WRK54G that I have laying
    around and connect this to the printer and use the builting WIFI to talk to
    that.

    How would I confiure this to work that way? I know I probably want both
    routers on different IPs (right now, they both are on 192.168.1.1)

    Thanks
    Bruce

  2. Re: Using 2 routers with my laptop???

    Bruce,

    I think that you can subnet. I had a question like that some time ago. I had
    two wireless routers. I connected one to the other, but the guys connected
    to router 1 couldn't see the guys on router 2. I was told that I need to
    subnet.

    How to do this? Who knows?

    But maybe in your case you can set one router to connect to the Internet,
    and the other to just be an access point to the first one. That way it would
    just be an extension to the first one, and would get assigned an IP from the
    upstairs router. Then the downstairs access point would work like a switch
    in that you could connect the printer to it.
    Would that help?
    "Bruce" wrote in message
    news:3vudnbreL8rnIVvZnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > I have a IBM t40p using WinXP SP2. It has a builtin WIFI (802.11b) (this

    is
    > DISABLED right now)
    >
    > I have a DI-524 AirPlus G wireless router located UPSTAIRS connected to

    the
    > internet and my kids computer. I am using a LINKSYS PCMCI card (Wireless-G
    > Notebook Adapter ver.4.0 - not sure of the exact model, and don't want to
    > pull it out right now) to connect to this. All of this is working fine
    > DI-524 is configured as 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Now....
    > I have a new printer. It has USB, para and ethernet support. Due to sume
    > reason, my USB does not work with this printer... I have had the printer
    > connected to the DI-254 upstairs, but I want to have it downstairs. Para
    > connection is not really viable for me.
    >
    > What I would LIKE to do, is to use a LINKSYS WRK54G that I have laying
    > around and connect this to the printer and use the builting WIFI to talk

    > that.
    >
    > How would I confiure this to work that way? I know I probably want both
    > routers on different IPs (right now, they both are on 192.168.1.1)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bruce

  3. Re: Using 2 routers with my laptop???

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:09:38 -0400, "nick" wrote:

    >Bruce,
    >
    >I think that you can subnet. I had a question like that some time ago. I had
    >two wireless routers. I connected one to the other, but the guys connected
    >to router 1 couldn't see the guys on router 2. I was told that I need to
    >subnet.
    >
    >How to do this? Who knows?
    >
    >But maybe in your case you can set one router to connect to the Internet,
    >and the other to just be an access point to the first one. That way it would
    >just be an extension to the first one, and would get assigned an IP from the
    >upstairs router. Then the downstairs access point would work like a switch
    >in that you could connect the printer to it.
    > Would that help?
    >"Bruce" wrote in message
    >news:3vudnbreL8rnIVvZnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> I have a IBM t40p using WinXP SP2. It has a builtin WIFI (802.11b) (this

    >is
    >> DISABLED right now)
    >>
    >> I have a DI-524 AirPlus G wireless router located UPSTAIRS connected to

    >the
    >> internet and my kids computer. I am using a LINKSYS PCMCI card (Wireless-G
    >> Notebook Adapter ver.4.0 - not sure of the exact model, and don't want to
    >> pull it out right now) to connect to this. All of this is working fine
    >> DI-524 is configured as 192.168.1.1
    >>
    >> Now....
    >> I have a new printer. It has USB, para and ethernet support. Due to sume
    >> reason, my USB does not work with this printer... I have had the printer
    >> connected to the DI-254 upstairs, but I want to have it downstairs. Para
    >> connection is not really viable for me.
    >>
    >> What I would LIKE to do, is to use a LINKSYS WRK54G that I have laying
    >> around and connect this to the printer and use the builting WIFI to talk

    >> that.
    >>
    >> How would I confiure this to work that way? I know I probably want both
    >> routers on different IPs (right now, they both are on 192.168.1.1)
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bruce

    Try a google for ( port forward).Check the details there and the forum
    regards

+ Reply to Thread