Alternative to Cisco 1600 - Routers

This is a discussion on Alternative to Cisco 1600 - Routers ; Hi. I work in a company that provide broadband internet access and pap. Today we have tons of Cisco 1600 routers in stock for low-end services (links between 256k to 2Mb). We are looking for a replacement for this product. ...

  1. Alternative to Cisco 1600

    Hi.

    I work in a company that provide broadband internet access and pap.
    Today we have tons of Cisco 1600 routers in stock for low-end services
    (links between 256k to 2Mb).

    We are looking for a replacement for this product. Cisco 1800 series
    are too much in price and functionality for this purpose.

    We need something reliable that have: basic routing, nat, gre and vpn
    support, qos, traffic shaping and tacacs+ support.

    Syslog client, ntp client and ospf support are good but not required.

    Can anyone give some ideas about brands and models that we can look
    for?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Alternative to Cisco 1600

    Natan wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I work in a company that provide broadband internet access and pap.
    > Today we have tons of Cisco 1600 routers in stock for low-end services
    > (links between 256k to 2Mb).
    >
    > We are looking for a replacement for this product. Cisco 1800 series
    > are too much in price and functionality for this purpose.
    >
    > We need something reliable that have: basic routing, nat, gre and vpn
    > support, qos, traffic shaping and tacacs+ support.
    >
    > Syslog client, ntp client and ospf support are good but not required.
    >
    > Can anyone give some ideas about brands and models that we can look
    > for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Take a look at the Netopia 33xx-ENT (Enterprise) series. Over the years
    we've replaced 100% of our and our customers' Cisco's with these units with
    excellent success. And Netopia's partner support was, hands down, far
    superior to that of Cisco's! And these puppies are about 1/10th the cost
    of the Cisco equivs.

    Good luck,

    Bob

  3. Re: Alternative to Cisco 1600

    Thanks bob. We will take a look at those. There is a model 3386-ENT
    that has 4 ethernet ports, but it says it is a 4-port switch. Do you
    know if it allows setting different networks in each interface?

    Thanks.

    bobmct escreveu:

    > Take a look at the Netopia 33xx-ENT (Enterprise) series. Over the years
    > we've replaced 100% of our and our customers' Cisco's with these units with
    > excellent success. And Netopia's partner support was, hands down, far
    > superior to that of Cisco's! And these puppies are about 1/10th the cost
    > of the Cisco equivs.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Bob

  4. Re: Alternative to Cisco 1600

    Natan wrote:

    > Thanks bob. We will take a look at those. There is a model 3386-ENT
    > that has 4 ethernet ports, but it says it is a 4-port switch. Do you
    > know if it allows setting different networks in each interface?

    I believe it does. The config allows the definition of quite a number of
    subnets and each can be accessed by any of the ports. If you require more
    than four ports you can daisychain a larger switch. Another thing these
    devices do excellently is router to router VPN's which can come be very
    valuable in certain configurations.

    Take a look at their site. They have some pretty extensive docs there
    (www.netopia.com)

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread