Way To Redo Firmware in Most Routers? - Routers

This is a discussion on Way To Redo Firmware in Most Routers? - Routers ; If you use Linux, and if you have the firmware bin file, is there a way to redo the firmware in most small broadband routers? The reason I ask was because I was applying my firmware bin one day and ...

  1. Way To Redo Firmware in Most Routers?

    If you use Linux, and if you have the firmware bin file, is there a way
    to redo the firmware in most small broadband routers? The reason I ask
    was because I was applying my firmware bin one day and for some reason
    the device never came back to life. I reset the device a dozen
    different ways and now it only responds to ping. The web interface no
    longer comes back up. I get a fast-busy amber light condition on the
    System LED.

    The device was a U.S. Robotics 8000-02A broadband router.

    Unfortunately the manufacturer shipped me one in the past with no
    serial number sticker on the bottom, so I have no warranty.

    I miss this router to pieces because of it's Linux-workstation-friendly
    web software, ease of use, and its extensive logs. No < $100 router on
    the market that I've seen comes close.

  2. Re: Way To Redo Firmware in Most Routers?

    99m@myway.com wrote:
    > If you use Linux, and if you have the firmware bin file, is there a way
    > to redo the firmware in most small broadband routers? The reason I ask
    > was because I was applying my firmware bin one day and for some reason
    > the device never came back to life. I reset the device a dozen
    > different ways and now it only responds to ping. The web interface no
    > longer comes back up. I get a fast-busy amber light condition on the
    > System LED.
    >
    > The device was a U.S. Robotics 8000-02A broadband router.
    >
    > Unfortunately the manufacturer shipped me one in the past with no
    > serial number sticker on the bottom, so I have no warranty.
    >
    > I miss this router to pieces because of it's Linux-workstation-friendly
    > web software, ease of use, and its extensive logs. No < $100 router on
    > the market that I've seen comes close.

    tftp 192.168.123.254
    tftp> binary
    tftp> put roboticsfirmware.bin
    tftp> quit

    Eric Raymond, the guy who originally designed sendmail and wrote The
    Cathedral & the Bazaar, said the above technique (on 192.168.1.1) will
    work with overwriting the Linksys firmware. But that was Linksys.

    I'm going to attempt it on 192.168.123.254 on the USR 8000-02A device
    to see if I can resuscitate it tonight. Stay tuned.

  3. Re: Way To Redo Firmware in Most Routers?

    99m@myway.com wrote:
    > tftp 192.168.123.254
    > tftp> binary
    > tftp> put roboticsfirmware.bin
    > tftp> quit
    >
    > Eric Raymond, the guy who originally designed sendmail and wrote The
    > Cathedral & the Bazaar, said the above technique (on 192.168.1.1) will
    > work with overwriting the Linksys firmware. But that was Linksys.
    >
    > I'm going to attempt it on 192.168.123.254 on the USR 8000-02A device
    > to see if I can resuscitate it tonight. Stay tuned.

    Wow. That was fun. I hacked my USR 8000-02A router using tftp and got
    it working 100% again!!!

    I copied into /tmp the v2.7.bin firmware file that I had previously
    downloaded.

    # cd /tmp
    # chmod a+r /tmp/*.bin
    # tftp 192.168.123.254
    tftp> connect 192.168.123.254
    tftp> binary
    tftp> put v2.7.bin
    tftp> quit

    I had to run this several times with my IP address set statically on
    192.168.123.100. I then reset the device using the technique in the
    manual where I pull the power out, push reset and hold, put the power
    in, wait until the System LED blinks, and then release the reset
    button. Instead of the fast blink, it went into the normal slow blink.

    I connected to http://192.168.123.254 and it came back with a page!!!

    However, it wasn't the usual page. It came back with a strange page
    that said:

    Upgrade not completed...
    [ ] Browse...
    Upgrade

    I browsed the for the bin file again and then clicked Upgrade. It set
    it processed it correctly but then I lost connectivity to
    http://192.168.123.254. I then did '/etc/init.d/networking restart' and
    it came back with the regular US Robotics router homepage!!!

    All was well again after I went in and put my old settings back in.

+ Reply to Thread