Quick home networking questions - Routers

This is a discussion on Quick home networking questions - Routers ; Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one to my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I also want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 ...

  1. Quick home networking questions

    Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one to
    my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I also
    want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future. I have
    always only used one computer and never done networking before. So my
    questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their time.

    1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]

    2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?

    3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and where my
    mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is this too
    long or will it work?

    Thanks again for any help!
    Ernie

  2. Re: Quick home networking questions

    Your setup is fine, but It probably wouldn't hurt to get a wireless router
    anyway. Many come with four port switches, so you don't need to use the
    wireless side, but in the future if you got a laptop or other wireless
    device, you'd be ready. The Ethernet cable max distance is something like
    300 yards

    "Ernie Werbel" wrote in message
    > Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one to
    > my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I also
    > want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future. I
    > have always only used one computer and never done networking before. So
    > my questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their time.
    >
    > 1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    > I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    > modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]
    >
    > 2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    > Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?
    >
    > 3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and where my
    > mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is this
    > too long or will it work?
    >
    > Thanks again for any help!
    > Ernie

  3. Re: Quick home networking questions

    My mistake on the distance, it's 100 meters

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > Your setup is fine, but It probably wouldn't hurt to get a wireless router
    > anyway. Many come with four port switches, so you don't need to use the
    > wireless side, but in the future if you got a laptop or other wireless
    > device, you'd be ready. The Ethernet cable max distance is something like
    > 300 yards
    >

    > "Ernie Werbel" wrote in message
    >> Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one
    >> to my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I
    >> also want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future.
    >> I have always only used one computer and never done networking before.
    >> So my questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their
    >> time.
    >>
    >> 1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    >> I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    >> modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]
    >>
    >> 2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    >> Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?
    >>
    >> 3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and where
    >> my mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is
    >> this too long or will it work?
    >>
    >> Thanks again for any help!
    >> Ernie

  4. Re: Quick home networking questions

    100 meters is about 300 feet so I should be fine. Thanks for your help!
    Ernie

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > My mistake on the distance, it's 100 meters
    >

    > "RBM" wrote in message
    >> Your setup is fine, but It probably wouldn't hurt to get a wireless
    >> router anyway. Many come with four port switches, so you don't need to
    >> use the wireless side, but in the future if you got a laptop or other
    >> wireless device, you'd be ready. The Ethernet cable max distance is
    >> something like 300 yards
    >>

    >> "Ernie Werbel" wrote in message
    >>> Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one
    >>> to my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I
    >>> also want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future.
    >>> I have always only used one computer and never done networking before.
    >>> So my questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> 1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    >>> I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    >>> modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]
    >>>
    >>> 2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    >>> Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?
    >>>
    >>> 3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and where
    >>> my mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is
    >>> this too long or will it work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for any help!
    >>> Ernie

+ Reply to Thread