LAN<-->WAN<-->LAN ; L3 switches or Routers?? - Routers

This is a discussion on LAN<-->WAN<-->LAN ; L3 switches or Routers?? - Routers ; We have a case, where there is a LAN in the local place and a separate LAN in the remote place. This also means, there is a WAN in between these 2 LANs and they communicate via this WAN. I ...

  1. LAN<-->WAN<-->LAN ; L3 switches or Routers??

    We have a case, where there is a LAN in the local place and a separate
    LAN in the remote place. This also means, there is a WAN in between
    these 2 LANs and they communicate via this WAN.
    I would like to know
    - What is most preferred among 'Routers' and 'L3 switches', which are
    to be used for routing the messages from the LAN to the other LAN, via
    the WAN. Could anybody give a rationale behind that choice?

    Also, I would like to know whether this choice depends on
    - whether the WAN is our own or 3rd party network?
    - whether there is only one VLAN, for which some of the machines are
    kept locally and the other ones remotely

  2. Re: LAN<-->WAN<-->LAN ; L3 switches or Routers??

    It is quite common to use layer 3 switches connected directly to a
    carrier provided WAN transport as many carrier deliver the WAN via
    Ethernet..

+ Reply to Thread