dropping network connection through dlink router - Routers

This is a discussion on dropping network connection through dlink router - Routers ; Hi All... I have a wireless broadband connection going into a dlink 614 wireless router. I have 2 systems hardwired and 3 wireless. All systems at same time will lose their internet connection several times per day and will take ...

  1. dropping network connection through dlink router

    Hi All...
    I have a wireless broadband connection going into a dlink 614 wireless
    router. I have 2 systems hardwired and 3 wireless. All systems at same
    time will lose their internet connection several times per day and will take
    about 5 minutes then they will all reconnect. During this time the intranet
    is still functional with their file and printer sharing.

    I tried 3 different dlink routers with various levels of firmware and all
    had the same results. I also tried a linksys wrt54g but this one won't get
    a public ip address on the wan side. Had linksys on the phone and also did
    several firmware upgrades. I've since tested the linksys on a cable
    connection and it perfomed with no issues.

    When bypassing the router and plugging the broadband into a single system
    there is no disconnect occurences (of course this doesn't do much for the
    other systems)

    I contacted teletronics (makes of the broadband wireless gear) and the rep
    advised I need to run the router in bridged mode. This forces the isp to
    supply the ip addresses for all systems. Since I have ran the router in
    bridged mode (turned of dhcp and not using the wan port) there have been no
    disconnects.

    The isp wasn't much help as their experience with this environment is
    minimal and the wireless clientele they do have either run static ip or in
    the 900mhz range. This one is 2.4ghz line of sight with the tower about 5
    miles away

    My main concern now is that we need to do file sharing. I turned it off
    when I put the router in bridge mode and now lost our firewall aspect of the
    dlink and since the isp is putting out the ip addresses I am unsure about
    turning on local lan access with the norton firewall on each system.

    My options I see now is:

    Get the isp/teletronics to allow for the dlink, or other router to work the
    way it is intended (route mode) This may not be accomplished in a feasible
    timeframe.

    or

    run one system with two nics and run internet connection sharing. Then port
    the second nic to the router and run in router mode. This way I can have a
    local ip address on each system and the firewalls can easily be configured.

    or...
    is there some setting on the dlink router I'm missing here?

    any ideas?

    thanks
    dennis

  2. Re: dropping network connection through dlink router

    I'm just a home end user.

    What is the make and model modem that is being used to connect to the
    internet ?
    Is this really a modem or a hacked router like many of the Speedstreams ?
    Is you D-Link at the lastest firmware release level ?
    When using the router do you loose the internet connection to wired and
    wireless devices ?
    Do you have other equipment nearby that runs on the same frequencies, like a
    2.4 ghz cordless phone ?
    Maybe a channel change will fix the problem.
    Try a different cable between the router and the modem ? Maybe the cable is
    marginal ?
    Maybe the D-Link just does not want to play nice with your modem, or the
    other way around ?
    I recently had similar problems with my setup which included multiple
    routers and switches.
    Replacing the modem and router with an all in one router, one that was a
    wireless router with a built in ADSL modem fixed my problems.
    After 4 years the 3COM modem/router was just getting old and would no longer
    stay connected to the internet
    They were 1/3 the price in eBay compared to a purchase at a local
    electronics store.

    good luck

  3. Re: dropping network connection through dlink router

    Steve Stone wrote:
    > I'm just a home end user.

    No problem... all of us start out that way.

    > What is the make and model modem that is being used to connect to the
    > internet ?

    This is using teletronics equipment www.teletronics.com The "modem"
    is an EZbridge2000 http://teletronics.com/ezbridge80211gversion.html
    Again this is a broadband wireless connection. similar to satellite
    like direcpc or wildblue but this is land based from a tower several
    miles away.

    > Is this really a modem or a hacked router like many of the Speedstreams ?

    no, not that I'm aware of.

    > Is you D-Link at the lastest firmware release level ?

    yes, tried the latest respective firmwares on 3 different dlinks with
    different hardware versions.

    > When using the router do you loose the internet connection to wired and
    > wireless devices ?

    Yes

    > Do you have other equipment nearby that runs on the same frequencies, like a
    > 2.4 ghz cordless phone ?

    No, when we lose internet connection, the lan is still operational on
    both wired and wireless. only outside access is affected.

    > Maybe a channel change will fix the problem.

    Same as above, the lan side of the wireless has no problems
    (file/printer sharing continue to function)

    > Try a different cable between the router and the modem ? Maybe the cable is
    > marginal ?

    No issues when the same cable between router and modem (ezbridge) is
    connected directly to a single pc there are no problems

    > Maybe the D-Link just does not want to play nice with your modem, or the
    > other way around ?

    I seriously am still considering that. When teletronics contacted me I
    asked for compatible router list. He couldn't or did not want to give
    me that.

    > I recently had similar problems with my setup which included multiple
    > routers and switches.
    > Replacing the modem and router with an all in one router, one that was a
    > wireless router with a built in ADSL modem fixed my problems.

    Not really applicable here but will check with the teletronics site
    again for maybe something like that.

    > After 4 years the 3COM modem/router was just getting old and would no longer
    > stay connected to the internet
    > They were 1/3 the price in eBay compared to a purchase at a local
    > electronics store.

    ebay is a good way to get stuff.

    > good luck

    Thanks for your response.