Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3) - Routers

This is a discussion on Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3) - Routers ; Hello all, this seems like the appropriate place to ask this, so I hope you can help. For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port 2350. So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, ...

  1. Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

    Hello all, this seems like the appropriate place to ask this, so I hope
    you can help.
    For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port
    2350.

    So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, set it to both TCP and UDP (as
    required), enter the correct IP address, enable it, and save the
    settings.

    However, it doesn't appear to work. The port test located at
    (http://www.grc.com/port_2350.htm) indicates this port is still
    stealth, and the P2P features in the game do not work.

    I've heard horror stories about v5 of the WRT54G, but most everyone I
    spoke to had nothing but praise for the v3 model.

    So, I did what anybody would do in this situation, I upgraded the
    firmware to the latest version. (v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006) Yet the
    problem still occurs.

    Does anyone have a solution for this, or will I need to contact
    Linksys? This is the only problem I've had with this router and don't
    feel like shelling out MORE money for a replacement.......

  2. Re: Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

    wrote:

    > For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port
    > 2350.
    >
    > So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, set it to both TCP and UDP (as
    > required), enter the correct IP address, enable it, and save the
    > settings.
    >
    > However, it doesn't appear to work. The port test located at
    > (http://www.grc.com/port_2350.htm) indicates this port is still
    > stealth, and the P2P features in the game do not work.

    Are you sure the IP address of the recieving machine hasn't changed? Eg.
    due to the DHCP lease expiring and a new IP being allocated.

    Are you sure there is no software firewall running on the receiving
    machine that's blocking port 2350?

    --
    James Taylor

  3. Re: Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

    James Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port
    > > 2350.
    > >
    > > So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, set it to both TCP and UDP (as
    > > required), enter the correct IP address, enable it, and save the
    > > settings.
    > >
    > > However, it doesn't appear to work. The port test located at
    > > (http://www.grc.com/port_2350.htm) indicates this port is still
    > > stealth, and the P2P features in the game do not work.

    > Are you sure the IP address of the recieving machine hasn't changed? Eg.
    > due to the DHCP lease expiring and a new IP being allocated.
    >
    > Are you sure there is no software firewall running on the receiving
    > machine that's blocking port 2350?
    >
    > --
    > James Taylor

    Although my IP address does periodically change, I make sure all
    settings are up to date. (For the game, anyway) Also, I have no
    firewall software and Windows Firewall is disabled. (I set up an
    exception for port 2350 anyway, just in case)

    Is there something that has to be changed in the router settings when
    my IP changes? I'm a beginner when it comes to this kind of thing.

  4. Re: Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

    wrote:

    > James Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > For some P2P features in an online game, I am required to forward port
    > > > 2350.
    > > >
    > > > So I enter the range 2350 to 2350, set it to both TCP and UDP (as
    > > > required), enter the correct IP address, enable it, and save the
    > > > settings.
    > > >
    > > > However, it doesn't appear to work. The port test located at
    > > > (http://www.grc.com/port_2350.htm) indicates this port is still
    > > > stealth, and the P2P features in the game do not work.

    > > Are you sure the IP address of the recieving machine hasn't changed? Eg.
    > > due to the DHCP lease expiring and a new IP being allocated.
    > >
    > > Are you sure there is no software firewall running on the receiving
    > > machine that's blocking port 2350?

    > Although my IP address does periodically change, I make sure all
    > settings are up to date. (For the game, anyway)
    > Also, I have no firewall software and Windows Firewall is disabled.
    > (I set up an exception for port 2350 anyway, just in case)

    If you check your public IP address (so your game opponents can find
    you) and you check your PC's local address allocated via DHCP from your
    Linksys and you've set up a port forward to your PC's local IP address
    and you've opened the port in your software firewall, then I'm not sure
    what else to try.

    > Is there something that has to be changed in the router settings when
    > my IP changes? I'm a beginner when it comes to this kind of thing.

    Well, I don't actually have a Linksys, so perhaps someone with more
    direct experience of your particular router can suggest something for
    you to try next. I also don't play games and don't know which game
    you're trying to play. If I were you I'd try asking on the forums for
    that particular game because there must be people there who have had to
    go through the same configuration troubles, and someone will know if
    there is another step you're missing such as another port that needs
    opening or some configuration in the game software itself.

    --
    James Taylor

  5. Re: Problems port forwarding on Linksys WRT54G (v3)

    James Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > James Taylor wrote:

    > > > Are you sure the IP address of the recieving machine hasn't changed? Eg.
    > > > due to the DHCP lease expiring and a new IP being allocated.
    > > >
    > > > Are you sure there is no software firewall running on the receiving
    > > > machine that's blocking port 2350?

    > > Although my IP address does periodically change, I make sure all
    > > settings are up to date. (For the game, anyway)
    > > Also, I have no firewall software and Windows Firewall is disabled.
    > > (I set up an exception for port 2350 anyway, just in case)

    > If you check your public IP address (so your game opponents can find
    > you) and you check your PC's local address allocated via DHCP from your
    > Linksys and you've set up a port forward to your PC's local IP address
    > and you've opened the port in your software firewall, then I'm not sure
    > what else to try.
    >
    > > Is there something that has to be changed in the router settings when
    > > my IP changes? I'm a beginner when it comes to this kind of thing.

    > Well, I don't actually have a Linksys, so perhaps someone with more
    > direct experience of your particular router can suggest something for
    > you to try next. I also don't play games and don't know which game
    > you're trying to play. If I were you I'd try asking on the forums for
    > that particular game because there must be people there who have had to
    > go through the same configuration troubles, and someone will know if
    > there is another step you're missing such as another port that needs
    > opening or some configuration in the game software itself.
    >
    > --
    > James Taylor

    I've asked on the game's specific forum and it was decided that I am
    having router troubles, rather than game setting troubles.

    A quick search on Google Groups turns up someone else who was having
    these same problems, but just returned their router and the problem was
    never resolved. I may email that person and find out if they have any
    possible solutions.

    Anyways, thank you for your help. I hope someone else with experience
    with Linksys routers knows what to do and will step forward.

    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread