Newbie in need of some pointers - Routers

This is a discussion on Newbie in need of some pointers - Routers ; I have a desktop running windows 2000 pro. and a belkin wireless modem/router. There are 2 ways in which I can connect this desktop machine to the Belkin, with usb cable or with a network cable. If it's connected through ...

  1. Newbie in need of some pointers

    I have a desktop running windows 2000 pro. and a belkin wireless
    modem/router.
    There are 2 ways in which I can connect this desktop machine to the
    Belkin, with usb cable or with a network cable.
    If it's connected through the usb cable, everything is fine.
    If it's connected through the network cable, "surfing" the net is fine,
    downloading mail is fine but if I try sending a large(ish) file as
    attachement, the computer freezes.

    Any ideas as I am out of usb sockets and I keep having to swap the lead
    between the modem/router and the printer !

    TIA

  2. Re: Newbie in need of some pointers

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:49:34 +0100, Bernard wrote:

    >I have a desktop running windows 2000 pro. and a belkin wireless
    >modem/router.
    >There are 2 ways in which I can connect this desktop machine to the
    >Belkin, with usb cable or with a network cable.
    >If it's connected through the usb cable, everything is fine.
    >If it's connected through the network cable, "surfing" the net is fine,
    >downloading mail is fine but if I try sending a large(ish) file as
    >attachement, the computer freezes.
    >
    >Any ideas as I am out of usb sockets and I keep having to swap the lead
    >between the modem/router and the printer !
    >
    >TIA

    Easy answer would be to go out and get a small USB hub that has say 4
    ports on it. That way you have room for your printer, router and
    whatever else comes along.

  3. Re: Newbie in need of some pointers

    Voir à la fin du message suivant, envoyé par f/fgeorge le 05/07/2006
    19:48, pour ma réponse.
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:49:34 +0100, Bernard wrote:
    >
    >> I have a desktop running windows 2000 pro. and a belkin wireless
    >> modem/router.
    >> There are 2 ways in which I can connect this desktop machine to the
    >> Belkin, with usb cable or with a network cable.
    >> If it's connected through the usb cable, everything is fine.
    >> If it's connected through the network cable, "surfing" the net is fine,
    >> downloading mail is fine but if I try sending a large(ish) file as
    >> attachement, the computer freezes.
    >>
    >> Any ideas as I am out of usb sockets and I keep having to swap the lead
    >> between the modem/router and the printer !
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Easy answer would be to go out and get a small USB hub that has say 4
    > ports on it. That way you have room for your printer, router and
    > whatever else comes along.

    True but it would be to easy ;-) No, seriously, although I will more
    than likely do that in any case, I'm still intrigued as to why the
    emailing of something like a 1Mb file causes the "freeze", while
    watching streaming videos works fine. Actually I might need to look into
    the email client's settings itself ?

+ Reply to Thread