Getting my external IP address - Routers

This is a discussion on Getting my external IP address - Routers ; Hey all, My home machine is currently behind a router, and I think my ISP changes my addresses now and then, so I would like to know what IP address to use to connect to that machine from outside the ...

  1. Getting my external IP address

    Hey all,

    My home machine is currently behind a router, and I think my ISP changes my
    addresses now and then, so I would like to know what IP address to use to
    connect to that machine from outside the router's LAN. If I do an "ipconfig"
    on the Windows XP command shell, I get the local address (192.168.0.100).

    So how can I get the external address? I know I can surf to
    www.whatsmyipaddress.com, but I was hoping there was a command (for either the
    Windows XP shell or one that comes with Cygwin) that will tell me my external
    address.

    Thanks.

    Dave

  2. Re: Getting my external IP address

    Dave-

    You can use on of the dynamic DNS services. I've used dyndns before, it's
    free and gives you a DNS name for your computer. You run a small application
    on your computer that updates the IP when it changes. That's generally the
    easiest way to go. The other ways are screen scraping your routers config
    pages for the WAN IP or writing a script to parse the info from any website
    that gives your ip and email or FTP it somewhere.

    HTH

    Matt

    "Dave Rudolf" wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > My home machine is currently behind a router, and I think my ISP changes
    > my addresses now and then, so I would like to know what IP address to use
    > to connect to that machine from outside the router's LAN. If I do an
    > "ipconfig" on the Windows XP command shell, I get the local address
    > (192.168.0.100).
    >
    > So how can I get the external address? I know I can surf to
    > www.whatsmyipaddress.com, but I was hoping there was a command (for either
    > the Windows XP shell or one that comes with Cygwin) that will tell me my
    > external address.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dave

  3. Re: Getting my external IP address

    > So how can I get the external address? I know I can surf to
    > www.whatsmyipaddress.com, but I was hoping there was a command (for either the
    > Windows XP shell or one that comes with Cygwin) that will tell me my external
    > address.

    Well, the workaround might be issuing "pathping" or "tracert" to any
    external address (i.e www.anydomain.com) ...you'll get your external
    address in the second line as assigned to your router from ISP.

    Matt did mention a brighter solution. You might try dyndns for your
    appropriate application. It is good.

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  4. Re: Getting my external IP address

    "Dave Rudolf" wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > My home machine is currently behind a router, and I think my ISP changes

    my
    > addresses now and then, so I would like to know what IP address to use to
    > connect to that machine from outside the router's LAN. If I do an

    "ipconfig"
    > on the Windows XP command shell, I get the local address (192.168.0.100).
    >
    > So how can I get the external address? I know I can surf to
    > www.whatsmyipaddress.com, but I was hoping there was a command (for either

    the
    > Windows XP shell or one that comes with Cygwin) that will tell me my

    external
    > address.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dave

    Go to the routers status page... it will tell you the WAN address

    KK

+ Reply to Thread