router capping my speed - Routers

This is a discussion on router capping my speed - Routers ; I have a somewhat similar problem to that described by Steve. I have Optimum Boost, for that don't know what that is I'm allowed 30 mbps down 2 mbps up. When directly connected from cable modem to NIC i achieve ...

  1. router capping my speed

    I have a somewhat similar problem to that described by Steve. I have
    Optimum Boost, for that don't know what that is I'm allowed 30 mbps down
    2 mbps up. When directly connected from cable modem to NIC i achieve
    that no problem. When I connect my Linksys BEFSX41 router (wired) I get
    at best between 11 to 13mbps. Below are the steps I've taken so far to
    rectify the issue:

    1 - Change my NIC speed to 100 Full Mode in the device manager
    2 - Disabled MTU on my router - no results. Enabled MTU and tweaked some
    values such as 1492, 1300, still no improvement.
    3 - Disabled router firewall (risky but just for testing purposes), not
    running any s/w firewalls.
    4 - Call Linksys Tech support, result...a waste of time.

    What boggles me is this, my router is considered a 10/100 like the NIC
    right? Well i'm getting more than 10 mbps so I know I must be streaming
    through the 100 mbps band, but it never gets past 15 so i feel like i'm
    being capped by a 15 mbps limit. I use Cat5 cables and i know they're
    fine, I use the very same one when i connect directly. If anyone knows
    anything further that i overlooked I'd greatly appreciate it.

  2. Re: router capping my speed

    It is very possible the linksys can only do what yer getting. It may be a
    100mb nic on the linksys, but firewall throughput would be way way less.
    That just means the router itself.

    I am only totally guessing.

    "Steve" wrote in message news:9P4kg.2393$c85.1447@fe10.lga...
    >I have a somewhat similar problem to that described by Steve. I have
    >Optimum Boost, for that don't know what that is I'm allowed 30 mbps down 2
    >mbps up. When directly connected from cable modem to NIC i achieve that no
    >problem. When I connect my Linksys BEFSX41 router (wired) I get at best
    >between 11 to 13mbps. Below are the steps I've taken so far to rectify the
    >issue:
    >
    > 1 - Change my NIC speed to 100 Full Mode in the device manager
    > 2 - Disabled MTU on my router - no results. Enabled MTU and tweaked some
    > values such as 1492, 1300, still no improvement.
    > 3 - Disabled router firewall (risky but just for testing purposes), not
    > running any s/w firewalls.
    > 4 - Call Linksys Tech support, result...a waste of time.
    >
    > What boggles me is this, my router is considered a 10/100 like the NIC
    > right? Well i'm getting more than 10 mbps so I know I must be streaming
    > through the 100 mbps band, but it never gets past 15 so i feel like i'm
    > being capped by a 15 mbps limit. I use Cat5 cables and i know they're
    > fine, I use the very same one when i connect directly. If anyone knows
    > anything further that i overlooked I'd greatly appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread