Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ? - Routers ; Hi ! I have a D-Link DI-624 router, revision C. My firmware is 2.53, the latest availiable on the Canadian D-Link site. While surfing on D-Link sites on other countries, which includes US site dlink.com I found the existence of ...

  1. Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ?

    Hi !

    I have a D-Link DI-624 router, revision C. My firmware is 2.53, the
    latest availiable on the Canadian D-Link site.

    While surfing on D-Link sites on other countries, which includes US
    site dlink.com I found the existence of a newer version of the firmware
    (2.70) for the same model/revision.

    The same fw version can also be found on dlink.fr

    I noticed that there is a mention on the download page stating that
    "This firmware is engineered for US products only; using this firmware
    on a device outside of the USA will void your warranty and render the
    device unusable".

    I called to d-link tech support (yes, I had spare time to waste, really
    !) to be told that this is because foreign dsl standards aren't the
    same as here - and was advised too to not use the USA upgrade.

    While I can "maybe" beleive this to be true for Europeans systems, I
    can hardly see a difference between USA and Canadian dsl
    systems/standards.

    In addition, I made a byte to byte compare of the Canadian version 2.53
    and the US one and they match exactly. Why then the 2.70 version be
    so unsuitable ?

    And, if there is really an incompatibility somewhere, I guess can
    always flash the 2.53 f/w again.

    Any opinions ? Suggestions ? Advice ? Experiences ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ?

    1st off, is the modem peforming correctly ? is there any reason why you need
    a firm upgrade ie, to go up to adsl2+ compatibility? if not, abide by the
    rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ....ok, i'll assume a byte to byte
    comparison is just an overall comparison of size, or does it scan the code
    and compare ?.. anyways two firmwares can be the same size but be quite
    different all together.

    Adsl compliance would be different, just because you use the same rj-11
    adapters as USA doesnt mean what comes along the line is the same, many
    factors are involved when firmware for modems is concerned, certain
    standards addressed in the American firmware will have differences, as I am
    from Australia and know nothing about what Canada or America use I cannot
    really specify. What I can say is that firmware can sometimes corrupt a unit
    properly and you will have to send the unit away to get fixed. I dont know
    enough about the two countries standards and it sounds like neither do you,
    so unless you want to go for a quest for knowledge, I would advise against
    playing with firmware incase of aforementioned outcome, and just wait. The
    fact that everyone else has upgrades and your nation doesnt probably means
    it is working just fine on those standards. good luck

    "Michel S." wrote in message
    > Hi !
    >
    > I have a D-Link DI-624 router, revision C. My firmware is 2.53, the
    > latest availiable on the Canadian D-Link site.
    >
    > While surfing on D-Link sites on other countries, which includes US site
    > dlink.com I found the existence of a newer version of the firmware (2.70)
    > for the same model/revision.
    >
    > The same fw version can also be found on dlink.fr
    >
    > I noticed that there is a mention on the download page stating that "This
    > firmware is engineered for US products only; using this firmware on a
    > device outside of the USA will void your warranty and render the device
    > unusable".
    >
    > I called to d-link tech support (yes, I had spare time to waste, really !)
    > to be told that this is because foreign dsl standards aren't the same as
    > here - and was advised too to not use the USA upgrade.
    >
    > While I can "maybe" beleive this to be true for Europeans systems, I can
    > hardly see a difference between USA and Canadian dsl systems/standards.
    >
    > In addition, I made a byte to byte compare of the Canadian version 2.53
    > and the US one and they match exactly. Why then the 2.70 version be so
    > unsuitable ?
    >
    > And, if there is really an incompatibility somewhere, I guess can always
    > flash the 2.53 f/w again.
    >

    > Any opinions ? Suggestions ? Advice ? Experiences ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ?

    Hi Big Mitch !

    Thanks for your answer.

    Since there was little activity in this group and because I found
    another relevant group existed after I posted here, I reposted in that
    other group where some answers were given. If you are interested, you
    will find it there :

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.in...0804122f9e850e

    To answer some specific points you point out in your reply :

    - I am experiencing some problems with the router dropping the link
    with a wireless USB adapter -- that's why I was searching the net for a
    solution.

    - When I compared the two firmwares, I made a byte-to-byte compare
    using an utility, and not relied only on the date/file size. They were
    identical, as well as the previous fw (2.53) were.

    - As you will find in the other discussion, I'm wondering why, if the
    firmware/router is so specific to Canada, it has settings availiable
    for BigPond Cable in Australia, and PPTP in Europe, among others...

    - Finally, if there are differences in different countries phone system
    standards, do you agree it should be handled by the modem, not by the
    router ?

    Thanks again !

    Big Mitch avait ÚnoncÚ :
    > 1st off, is the modem peforming correctly ? is there any reason why you need
    > a firm upgrade ie, to go up to adsl2+ compatibility? if not, abide by the
    > rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ....ok, i'll assume a byte to byte
    > comparison is just an overall comparison of size, or does it scan the code
    > and compare ?.. anyways two firmwares can be the same size but be quite
    > different all together.
    >
    > Adsl compliance would be different, just because you use the same rj-11
    > adapters as USA doesnt mean what comes along the line is the same, many
    > factors are involved when firmware for modems is concerned, certain standards
    > addressed in the American firmware will have differences, as I am from
    > Australia and know nothing about what Canada or America use I cannot really
    > specify. What I can say is that firmware can sometimes corrupt a unit
    > properly and you will have to send the unit away to get fixed. I dont know
    > enough about the two countries standards and it sounds like neither do you,
    > so unless you want to go for a quest for knowledge, I would advise against
    > playing with firmware incase of aforementioned outcome, and just wait. The
    > fact that everyone else has upgrades and your nation doesnt probably means it
    > is working just fine on those standards. good luck
    >
    > "Michel S." wrote in message
    >> Hi !
    >>
    >> I have a D-Link DI-624 router, revision C. My firmware is 2.53, the
    >> latest availiable on the Canadian D-Link site.
    >>
    >> While surfing on D-Link sites on other countries, which includes US site
    >> dlink.com I found the existence of a newer version of the firmware (2.70)
    >> for the same model/revision.
    >>
    >> The same fw version can also be found on dlink.fr
    >>
    >> I noticed that there is a mention on the download page stating that "This
    >> firmware is engineered for US products only; using this firmware on a
    >> device outside of the USA will void your warranty and render the device
    >> unusable".
    >>
    >> I called to d-link tech support (yes, I had spare time to waste, really !)
    >> to be told that this is because foreign dsl standards aren't the same as
    >> here - and was advised too to not use the USA upgrade.
    >>
    >> While I can "maybe" beleive this to be true for Europeans systems, I can
    >> hardly see a difference between USA and Canadian dsl systems/standards.
    >>
    >> In addition, I made a byte to byte compare of the Canadian version 2.53 and
    >> the US one and they match exactly. Why then the 2.70 version be so
    >> unsuitable ?
    >>
    >> And, if there is really an incompatibility somewhere, I guess can always
    >> flash the 2.53 f/w again.
    >>
    >> Any opinions ? Suggestions ? Advice ? Experiences ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Any reason why a d-link router's firmware upgrade can't be used outside a specific country ?

    well, thats solved, good news ! if the byte to byte was exact, then what
    more assurance did u need ? Dlink are just strange, putting it like that
    then yes, it would be handled by the modem, i assumed the unit was
    wireless/modem/router. not too worry cheerio ! PS I have a dlink604T i want
    schematics for it, damn dlinks, i think its quicker than the white belkin
    adsl wireless 4 port mod/router i had..

    regards.

+ Reply to Thread