vpn router & Primary Domain Server - Routers

This is a discussion on vpn router & Primary Domain Server - Routers ; I have a lan (4pcs/win xp) that connect to a domain on the server (linux/samba). Any pc on the lan can therefore log onto the server. If I replace the adsl router, for a adsl router with VPN capability, can ...

  1. vpn router & Primary Domain Server

    I have a lan (4pcs/win xp) that connect to a domain on the server
    (linux/samba).

    Any pc on the lan can therefore log onto the server.

    If I replace the adsl router, for a adsl router with VPN capability, can I
    then log onto the server domain from PC connected to the internet (i.e not
    on the lan)?

    Would this require any configuration on the server? Or would the VPN router
    give the "remote" pc an ip address on the local lan (in the same way that a
    computer physically connected would be)

    I assume that the remote client PC does not require any hardware, and that
    the VPN server can be access via windows software?

  2. Re: vpn router & Primary Domain Server

    ee@Ee.com declared for all the world to hear...
    > I have a lan (4pcs/win xp) that connect to a domain on the server
    > (linux/samba).
    >
    > Any pc on the lan can therefore log onto the server.
    >
    > If I replace the adsl router, for a adsl router with VPN capability, can I
    > then log onto the server domain from PC connected to the internet (i.e not
    > on the lan)?
    >
    > Would this require any configuration on the server? Or would the VPN router
    > give the "remote" pc an ip address on the local lan (in the same way that a
    > computer physically connected would be)

    Yes if using DHCP, or you can assign IP in the same subnet manually.
    Best to use DHCP I think.

    > I assume that the remote client PC does not require any hardware, and that
    > the VPN server can be access via windows software?

    XP Pro only I think, not too sure. But basically, you are right.
    Establish the VPN connection to the router and the remote PC will then
    behave as if it were on the physical LAN.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

+ Reply to Thread