save a newbie - Routers

This is a discussion on save a newbie - Routers ; D-Link DI-524, Windows 2000 home network, only 4 computers. everything had been stable for months, moving equipment and network cables on the router got unplugged while the network was still up. now I get the message "network cable unplugged" in ...

  1. save a newbie

    D-Link DI-524, Windows 2000 home network, only 4 computers.

    everything had been stable for months, moving equipment and network
    cables on the router got unplugged while the network was still up.

    now I get the message "network cable unplugged" in a little pop up over
    the start menu at random intervals. my son playing Runescape on the
    internet is frustrated because the connection is getting interrupted.

    I had similar problems with one computer on initial setup. I think I
    should reboot the router and set it up again. but I never really
    understood my problem, just that SOMETHING made it go away.

    but I have only done this stuff once or twice and my confidence is not
    high. like, I have the D-Link html page printed out showing my IP's
    static address and gateway. I know I need that. but remembering
    192.168.0.1 and "admin" and a blank password was kind of pushing it for
    my competence level.

    ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    (thanks)

    roy

  2. Re: save a newbie

    There might be a little bit of dirt that's gotten caught in the plug seat
    that's randomly interfering with it. Try unplugging it and lightly blowing
    some air into it with a compressed air canister.

    The other times I've seen this happen is when the drivers for the Network
    Cards need updating, which requires you to go the manufacturers website and
    download the latest drivers. To find out the make of the network card you
    need to go to:
    Control Panel
    Then Performance and maintenance (if you're in Category view) then System
    .... or just System (if you're in Classic view)
    Double-Click the System icon and a new dialog window will open
    Click the Hardware Tab
    Click Device Manager
    Expand the Network Adapters tree

    In there it will show you what make/model your network card is.

    Cheers,

    E.

    "roy" wrote in message
    > D-Link DI-524, Windows 2000 home network, only 4 computers.
    >
    > everything had been stable for months, moving equipment and network cables
    > on the router got unplugged while the network was still up.
    >
    > now I get the message "network cable unplugged" in a little pop up over
    > the start menu at random intervals. my son playing Runescape on the
    > internet is frustrated because the connection is getting interrupted.
    >
    > I had similar problems with one computer on initial setup. I think I
    > should reboot the router and set it up again. but I never really
    > understood my problem, just that SOMETHING made it go away.
    >
    > but I have only done this stuff once or twice and my confidence is not
    > high. like, I have the D-Link html page printed out showing my IP's static
    > address and gateway. I know I need that. but remembering 192.168.0.1 and
    > "admin" and a blank password was kind of pushing it for my competence
    > level.
    >
    > ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    > (thanks)
    >
    > roy

  3. Re: save a newbie

    EvilNem wrote:
    > There might be a little bit of dirt that's gotten caught in the plug seat
    > that's randomly interfering with it. Try unplugging it and lightly blowing
    > some air into it with a compressed air canister.
    >
    > The other times I've seen this happen is when the drivers for the Network
    > Cards need updating, which requires you to go the manufacturers website and
    > download the latest drivers. To find out the make of the network card you
    > need to go to:
    > Control Panel
    > Then Performance and maintenance (if you're in Category view) then System
    > ... or just System (if you're in Classic view)
    > Double-Click the System icon and a new dialog window will open
    > Click the Hardware Tab
    > Click Device Manager
    > Expand the Network Adapters tree
    >
    > In there it will show you what make/model your network card is.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > E.

    rebooting seems to have worked, after several reboots.

    I may just blame windows in my own mind. crappy OS. but I think I
    learned something - the DHCP page in the D-Link software was reporting
    all computers as unknown. I have one HP plotter that I have assigned an
    IP address to, and it should be unknown, but everybody else has a name.

    when everything is right, and everybody is talking to each other nicely
    the names show up. if there is more than one "unknown" in the list, I
    should expect problems.

    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread