XP networking help needed - Routers

This is a discussion on XP networking help needed - Routers ; here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable modem and a linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP machine. the internet is working fine on both machines but I can't figure out how to network the two ...

  1. XP networking help needed

    here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable modem and a
    linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP machine. the internet is
    working fine on both machines but I can't figure out how to network the two
    together. I have a lot of files to move to the new computer, and want to
    play games between the two and the easiest way would be to network. I've
    tried running the home network wizard on both computers but had no luck. the
    router recognizes both machines, but I'm obviously missing something. any
    help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: XP networking help needed

    Be sure 'Client for Microsoft Networks”, "File and Printer Sharing” and
    “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” are all installed. You can do this by going to
    the “Control Panel”, click on “Network Connections”, then right click on
    “Local area Connection” and select “Properties”. If any three
    connection types are missing, add them by clicking on the install button

    Each computer in your home network needs to have a different name, and they
    all need to be in the same workgroup.
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network3.htm

    Sharing files
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network4.htm

    Sharing printers
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network6.htm

    "Smokey" wrote in message
    > here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable modem and a
    > linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP machine. the internet is
    > working fine on both machines but I can't figure out how to network the
    > two
    > together. I have a lot of files to move to the new computer, and want to
    > play games between the two and the easiest way would be to network. I've
    > tried running the home network wizard on both computers but had no luck.
    > the
    > router recognizes both machines, but I'm obviously missing something. any
    > help would be greatly appreciated!

  3. Re: XP networking help needed

    Sorry the links are old and no longer valid, ignore them.

    "xyz" wrote in message
    news:MMSdned86IzQ0xnZnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Be sure 'Client for Microsoft Networks”, "File and Printer Sharing” and
    > “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” are all installed. You can do this by going
    > the “Control Panel”, click on “Network Connections”, then right click on
    > “Local area Connection” and select “Properties”. If any three
    > connection types are missing, add them by clicking on the install button
    >
    > Each computer in your home network needs to have a different name, and
    > they
    > all need to be in the same workgroup.
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network3.htm
    >
    > Sharing files
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network4.htm
    >
    > Sharing printers
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network6.htm
    >

    > "Smokey" wrote in message
    >> here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable modem and a
    >> linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP machine. the internet is
    >> working fine on both machines but I can't figure out how to network the
    >> two
    >> together. I have a lot of files to move to the new computer, and want to
    >> play games between the two and the easiest way would be to network. I've
    >> tried running the home network wizard on both computers but had no luck.
    >> the
    >> router recognizes both machines, but I'm obviously missing something. any
    >> help would be greatly appreciated!

  4. Re: XP networking help needed

    Both PCs need to be in the same "Workgroup"
    Go to System Properties (right click "My Computer|Properties)
    Computer Name tab
    Change
    All PCs have to have the same workgroup name for file and printer
    sharing

    "There are only THREE kinds of people,
    those who can count....
    and those who can't!"

  5. Re: XP networking help needed

    "Smokey" wrote in message
    > here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable modem and a
    > linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP machine. the internet is
    > working fine on both machines but I can't figure out how to network the
    > two
    > together. I have a lot of files to move to the new computer, and want to
    > play games between the two and the easiest way would be to network. I've
    > tried running the home network wizard on both computers but had no luck.
    > the
    > router recognizes both machines, but I'm obviously missing something. any
    > help would be greatly appreciated!

    If you're set on using the network to do this, make sure that the cards on
    both systems have IPX/SPX also installed in their properties. Frequently I
    find that this is the only way to get Windows machines to actually see each
    other (given that they are on the same workgroup). IPX/SPX and netbios are
    not installed by default.

    Once these are installed, you may have to also do a Windows search for the
    other machine. (start, search, computers or people, a computer on the
    network, then * to specify all computers, or the known name) .

    Be sure that you did turn on file sharing and that you marked the drives
    and/or folders as shared with appropriate rights, AND that there are
    appopriately matching accounts on both machines.

    Bear in mind that while this works well, if there's a lot of data it can
    take hours. When I do this, which is regularly, I use a shareware program
    called FileSync (www.fileware.co.uk) to move and compare files. It's
    vastly superior to the stock Windows copy functions, which use the "give up
    and close" model of error response. FileSync continues on error and
    creates and presents a list of errors it encounters and files it can't copy.
    It will also do binary comparisons, so you can be sure that critical data
    files *are* identical on the two machines.

    Also, if you're in a hurry, simply move the drive from the old machine and
    temporarily mount it in the new one, or attach it to a USB2 drive box.
    This can provide a speed increase of about 4x (for USB2) over 100mb
    networking (and consequent time decrease).

    There is a caveat to moving files with this method. In some circumstances,
    mostly when XP Pro is in use and files have been marked private or have been
    encrypted, you may not get access to the files or may be unable to decode
    them. If it is XP Pro and encryption was invoked, you must, on the
    original account on the original machine, export the account credentials and
    import them on the new one. Simply moving the files to an account with
    the same name and password will *not* work.

    You must also keep a backup of the credentials somewhere very safe, because
    that backup can represent your *only* way to regain access to the contents
    of those files should the machine suffer damage.

    MS did a pretty good job at making it easy to set up fairly robust privacy
    with XP encryption, but I'm not sure that they did as good a job with making
    it as clear as it should be that this particular backup is extremely
    important.

    HTH
    -pk

  6. Re: XP networking help needed

    "Patrick Keenan" wrote in message
    > "Smokey" wrote in message
    > > here's my situation. I'm running one XP machine using a cable
    > > modem and a linksys firewall/router. I just added another XP
    > > machine. the internet is working fine on both machines but I
    > > can't figure out how to network the two
    > > together. I have a lot of files to move to the new computer,
    > > and
    > > want to play games between the two and the easiest way would
    > > be
    > > to network. I've tried running the home network wizard on
    > > both
    > > computers but had no luck. the
    > > router recognizes both machines, but I'm obviously missing
    > > something. any help would be greatly appreciated!

    > If you're set on using the network to do this, make sure that
    > the
    > cards on both systems have IPX/SPX also installed in their
    > properties. Frequently I find that this is the only way to
    > get
    > Windows machines to actually see each other (given that they
    > are on
    > the same workgroup). IPX/SPX and netbios are not installed by
    > default.

    I have neither IPX/SPX nor netbios/NETBUI on my two WinXP Home
    networked machines. They can see each other and all their drives
    and folders therein.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

+ Reply to Thread