Router recommendation - Routers

This is a discussion on Router recommendation - Routers ; I need to be able to connect 2 wired networks (1 on wireless and 1 on ADSL) very securely. I believe my best bet would be to get 2 VPN endpoint routers for this. Here's my problem: Although all computers ...

  1. Router recommendation

    I need to be able to connect 2 wired networks (1 on wireless and 1 on
    ADSL) very securely. I believe my best bet would be to get 2 VPN
    endpoint routers for this.

    Here's my problem:

    Although all computers on each network need internet access as well as
    VPN connection to the other network, I need to be able to severely
    restrict the internet sites that can be visited by 2 of the computers
    on 1 network, as well as completely shut down P2P, other file sharing,
    and FTP downloaing. Actually, these two computers would ideally be
    only able to access files on a single domain.

    Are there any VPN endpoint routers out there with such features?

    Thanks, Bob

  2. Re: Router recommendation

    "Bob" wrote in message
    >I need to be able to connect 2 wired networks (1 on wireless and 1 on
    > ADSL) very securely. I believe my best bet would be to get 2 VPN
    > endpoint routers for this.
    >
    > Here's my problem:
    >
    > Although all computers on each network need internet access as well as
    > VPN connection to the other network, I need to be able to severely
    > restrict the internet sites that can be visited by 2 of the computers
    > on 1 network, as well as completely shut down P2P, other file sharing,
    > and FTP downloaing. Actually, these two computers would ideally be
    > only able to access files on a single domain.
    >
    > Are there any VPN endpoint routers out there with such features?
    >
    > Thanks, Bob

    Bob, Sonicwall makes high end internet appliances that will do all you have
    stated you need. I am 99.9% sure they will. The issue is cost as they run a
    couple hundred and up plus subscription fees for security services for what
    you want.

    It is possible on lower end routers probably to do all you need, but much
    more difficult I believe allthough I'm not entirely sure. I know with
    Sonicwall it's pretty darn easy to set that all up.

    I own a Sonicwall TZ170W with SonicOS enhanced. It has IPS, CFS, Gateway and
    Network AV, AntiSpyware, Spam protection built in, VPN stuff as well and it
    is a dual wan plus it has wireless 54g and will probably get to be MIMO when
    it's standard as they will add this via software update. Firewall rules are
    incredible what you can do.

    With IPS it blocks all p2p and filesharing automatically with IPS enabled
    plus you can create specific rules and for who they apply. You can set up
    user groups, user accounts etc, connection bandwidth limits, restrict ports
    and web sites and so forth to whoever you want. It does very good logging,
    report features with who goes where, how much bandwidth they use like how
    much data they downloaded and on what port etc. It will email the logs, SNMP
    etc. It's amazing what it does.

    Well I might be wanting to sell my TZ170W with SonicOS Enhanced. So if you
    think you might be interested let me know in here. Also you can go to the
    sonicwall site to read more. www.sonicwall.com .

    The CFS is content filtering which gives you a list of 12 categories to
    block, like porn, gambling etc, plus it will let you configure it for
    keywords etc. You can also activate the CFS per user as it is adjustable.
    the Gateway AV is anti virus protection built into the router for the entire
    network. It covers everyone at the same time so there is no need for virus
    apps on their computers. Allthough as I'm sure you know it's still good to
    have some. It also has good remote access to manage the device as well as an
    awesome reporting tool in software that you would install on a pc to get a
    lot of information from the sonicwall. it's all GUI, graphs, pie charts etc.

    I'm not sure of other manufacturers who does the same type of stuff you
    need.

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread