load balancing between 2 DSL connections? - Routers

This is a discussion on load balancing between 2 DSL connections? - Routers ; We've experimented with load balancing on a Linksys RV042 router using 2 internet connections in the past. In general, things worked fairly well, but we had issues with some secure sites. We determined that the problem was that the router ...

  1. load balancing between 2 DSL connections?

    We've experimented with load balancing on a Linksys RV042 router using 2
    internet connections in the past. In general, things worked fairly well,
    but we had issues with some secure sites.

    We determined that the problem was that the router was switching WAN ports
    for that same session, and the site dropped our session because our source
    IP changed.

    Looking into this a bit further, it seems that some higher-end routers
    support "load balancing per destination" which seems would alleviate this
    issue. I'm guessing that the Linksys RV042 uses "load balancing per
    packet".

    I don't see any documentation on Linksys.com regarding this issue, nor do I
    see any option on the router to for "per destination".

    Is this a common issue?

    Are there any fairly low-cost routers that support 2 WAN connections,
    support load balancing, and not have this issue?

    Our main use for this would be remote desktop connections to a Terminal
    Server at the main office. We currently have (2) 1.5Mbps/384Kbps DSL
    connections at our main site. We'd like 1 remote site to remote desktop
    through 1 of the DSL lines, and we would like a 2nd remote site to remote
    desktop in through the other DSL line.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: load balancing between 2 DSL connections?

    "Kremlar" wrote in message
    news:YWCdg.119079$Vf6.85549@fe40.usenetserver.com. ..
    > We've experimented with load balancing on a Linksys RV042 router using 2
    > internet connections in the past. In general, things worked fairly well,
    > but we had issues with some secure sites.
    >
    > We determined that the problem was that the router was switching WAN ports
    > for that same session, and the site dropped our session because our source
    > IP changed.
    >
    > Looking into this a bit further, it seems that some higher-end routers
    > support "load balancing per destination" which seems would alleviate this
    > issue. I'm guessing that the Linksys RV042 uses "load balancing per
    > packet".
    >
    > I don't see any documentation on Linksys.com regarding this issue, nor do
    > I see any option on the router to for "per destination".
    >
    > Is this a common issue?
    >
    > Are there any fairly low-cost routers that support 2 WAN connections,
    > support load balancing, and not have this issue?
    >
    > Our main use for this would be remote desktop connections to a Terminal
    > Server at the main office. We currently have (2) 1.5Mbps/384Kbps DSL
    > connections at our main site. We'd like 1 remote site to remote desktop
    > through 1 of the DSL lines, and we would like a 2nd remote site to remote
    > desktop in through the other DSL line.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'm interested in the same thing so I can have both modems running to
    increase my download speed from some places that only allow 1 ip and you log
    in.

+ Reply to Thread