How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ? - Routers

This is a discussion on How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ? - Routers ; I have a desktop computer running Microsoft XP Pro and a laptop going XP home. I set up a Netgear wireless router of which I had no problems. Setting up folders was a different matter. Because of my inexperience setting ...

  1. How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ?

    I have a desktop computer running Microsoft XP Pro and a laptop going
    XP home. I set up a Netgear wireless router of which I had no
    problems. Setting up folders was a different matter. Because of my
    inexperience setting up sharing folders and printers, I made up all
    kinds a dumb moves. My folder TREE set up is using Windows classic
    folders. One folder, under My Computer, between the folder " Shared
    Documents" and " My Network Places" (Folder called My Documents) that I
    set up and I cannot delete. Then also, under My Network Places> Entire
    Network> Microsoft Windows network> Workgroups> My Files; under this, I
    made too many subfolders of which I cannot delete.
    Can someone please help me. Thank you, Russ.

  2. Re: How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ?

    You should try logging in under a different administrator account to delete
    folders in the "troubled" account. You can also try deleting the folders in
    safe mode or from a command prompt.

    "russ" wrote in message
    news:1148603301.500248.286000@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > I have a desktop computer running Microsoft XP Pro and a laptop going
    > XP home. I set up a Netgear wireless router of which I had no
    > problems. Setting up folders was a different matter. Because of my
    > inexperience setting up sharing folders and printers, I made up all
    > kinds a dumb moves. My folder TREE set up is using Windows classic
    > folders. One folder, under My Computer, between the folder " Shared
    > Documents" and " My Network Places" (Folder called My Documents) that I
    > set up and I cannot delete. Then also, under My Network Places> Entire
    > Network> Microsoft Windows network> Workgroups> My Files; under this, I
    > made too many subfolders of which I cannot delete.
    > Can someone please help me. Thank you, Russ.

  3. Re: How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ?

    Thank you Martin for replying. I never thought about safe mode, I'll
    have to give that try.
    I am a little apprehensive about DOS. I got my old DOS 5 handbook out
    and things have
    changed in DOS since then, according to XP help.

    Thanx, Russ.

  4. Re: How can I delete shared folders that won't delete ?

    "russ" wrote in message
    news:1148681514.172132.272800@y43g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thank you Martin for replying. I never thought about safe mode, I'll
    > have to give that try.
    > I am a little apprehensive about DOS. I got my old DOS 5 handbook out
    > and things have
    > changed in DOS since then, according to XP help.

    Not to be pedantic, but Safe mode command prompt, and the regular mode
    command prompt, are not DOS. It's the underlying XP OS, just without the
    pictures. It's called a command-line interface (CLI).

    There are many commands in the XP CLI that don't match DOS (and many that
    do, plus some that look the same and function differently). XP Help and
    Support lists them; go to Start, Help and Support, and search for
    'command-line reference A-Z'.

    The command line can be extremely useful and it is worth familiarizing
    yourself with it.

    HTH
    -pk

    > Thanx, Russ.