Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems? - Routers

This is a discussion on Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems? - Routers ; I am setting up a new machine running WinXP-SP2 Home edition, to replace an older machine running win98SE - updated to current date. This will eventually be used by someone else in the family on a wireless network but I ...

  1. Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    I am setting up a new machine running WinXP-SP2
    Home edition, to replace an older machine running
    win98SE - updated to current date.

    This will eventually be used by someone else in
    the family on a wireless network but I haven't got
    that set up yet, and haven't bought the wireless
    adapter for the remote machine - at the moment I
    am just wanting to transfer files and download
    stuff using both machines in the same room
    connected with crossover cable via ethernet ports.

    I'm an experienced PC user and builder but new to
    XP and new to networks.

    Win98SE now has a Network logon, (it runs
    automatically, set up via TweakUI) and I am
    working in XPHome on an Admin account that I don't
    intend to use for anything except setting up.

    I have a wireless voyager router, with wireless
    OFF, and connecting to the XP machine via USB (I
    normally connect to the router via ethernet but as
    each machine has only one ethernet port I am using
    usb to connect to internet at this stage of the game).
    The XP machine is connected to the Win98SE machine
    with a crossover ethernet cable.

    I want to network the two machines together, and
    share the internet access.
    I run Zone Alarm free on both machines and know
    how to add entries to the Trusted Zone for Zone
    Alarm. I have tried the network+internet setup
    with the firewalls off.

    I have tried using the network wizard from XP to
    set up the network on both machines but am unable
    to get both a network AND shared internet. I can
    do one or the other but not both. I have tried
    assigning IP's manually on both machines, and also
    letting both machines auto-assign - but if the
    internet connection is up and running, they don't
    seem to be able to auto-assign an IP address. If I
    manually assign the address then the internet
    connection goes down.

    Router details are at present:
    LAN side IP Address Settings
    Primary IP Address
    Enter here the IP address of your BT Voyager. This
    is the address visible from the computers on your
    network.
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Host Name: voyager
    Domain Name: home
    Secondary IP Address
    Configure secondary IP address and subnet mask -
    not ticked

    DHCP Server Settings
    Enabling DHCP Server on LAN interface can provide
    the proper IP address settings to your computer.
    DHCP Server - On
    Start IP: 192.168.1.2
    End IP: 192.168.1.2.254
    Lease Time: 1days 0hours 0minutes
    DHCP Server off

    Reserved IP entries - none entered so far. I know
    how to get my computer's physical MAC address -
    the router offers to reserve IP entries and
    presents boxes for the MAC address and the
    reserved IPs you want. I don't understand that
    bit. I don't understand what DHCP is either.
    Just for completeness - my Win98SE computer uses a
    HOSTS file at 127.0.0.1

    As my network functions when the router is not
    connected, and as internet functions fine when
    network is not connected. But if I try and run
    both then either the internet access goes down or
    the network goes down.

    I'm fairly sure that the problem comes when I
    enter the IP's for my two computers in the network
    wizard - at the moment I have tried 192.168.1.1
    and 192.168.1.2 - but it looks like those are
    already occupied by the router?
    What should I be telling the wizard about IP
    addresses and subnet mask for each network?
    And do I need to change anything on the network
    section of the router?

    And how do I go about clearing out the old network
    entries and starting afresh?

    Many many thanks to anyone who can help me.
    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  2. Re: Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    You should connect both computers directly to the router via Ethernet and
    let the router assign IP addresses. Share which ever folders need to be
    shared on each computer, setup a user account for the 98 computer on the XP
    computer, this is the user name and password you logon with on the 98
    computer and you should be set. By the way, I'd make the user name logon on
    the 98 computer is the same as the 98 computer name, I've experienced
    problems in certain scenarios when they have been different. Good luck!

    "Robert M Jones" wrote in
    message news:Scednf5Tb_jJNejZRVnysg@bt.com...
> [...]
    > then either the internet access goes down or the network goes down.
    >
    > I'm fairly sure that the problem comes when I enter the IP's for my two
    > computers in the network wizard - at the moment I have tried 192.168.1.1
    > and 192.168.1.2 - but it looks like those are already occupied by the
    > router?
    > What should I be telling the wizard about IP addresses and subnet mask for
    > each network?
    > And do I need to change anything on the network section of the router?
    >
    > And how do I go about clearing out the old network entries and starting
    > afresh?
    >
    > Many many thanks to anyone who can help me.
    > --
    > Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    > http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    > Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission

  3. Re: Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    "Martin S." wrote in message
    > You should connect both computers directly to the router via
    > Ethernet and let the router assign IP addresses. Share which
    > ever
    > folders need to be shared on each computer, setup a user
    > account
    > for the 98 computer on the XP computer, this is the user name
    > and
    > password you logon with on the 98 computer and you should be
    > set.
    > By the way, I'd make the user name logon on the 98 computer is
    > the
    > same as the 98 computer name, I've experienced problems in
    > certain
    > scenarios when they have been different. Good luck!

    Not true.

> [...]
    > > when I enter the IP's for
    > > my two computers in the network wizard - at the moment I have
    > > tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 - but it looks like those
    > > are
    > > already occupied by the router?
    > > What should I be telling the wizard about IP addresses and
    > > subnet
    > > mask for each network?
    > > And do I need to change anything on the network section of
    > > the
    > > router? And how do I go about clearing out the old network
    > > entries and
    > > starting afresh?
    > >
    > > Many many thanks to anyone who can help me.
    > > --
    > > Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    > > http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    > > Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    > > (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    Great info... Not true....

    "Travis M." wrote in message
> [...]

    >> > network goes down. I'm fairly sure that the problem comes when I enter
    >> > the IP's for
    >> > my two computers in the network wizard - at the moment I have
    >> > tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 - but it looks like those are
    >> > already occupied by the router?
    >> > What should I be telling the wizard about IP addresses and subnet
    >> > mask for each network?
    >> > And do I need to change anything on the network section of the
    >> > router? And how do I go about clearing out the old network entries and
    >> > starting afresh?
    >> >
    >> > Many many thanks to anyone who can help me.
    >> > --
    >> > Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    >> > http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    >> > Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    >> > (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)

  5. Re: Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    "Martin S." wrote in message
    > Great info... Not true....

    Why don't you stop answering with bogus information?

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  6. Re: Home network with internet access via a router - IP problems?

    Looks like more than one problem. I would immediately change the DHCP
    so that you don't have problems assigning IP addresses. I'd suggest
    starting the DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.100 instead of 192.168.1.2.

    Also, your router already occupies 192.168.1.1. Don't try to assign a
    computer to that address.

    You'll probably have to do more, but following these suggestions will
    clear away one obstacle and may lead to eventual solution.

+ Reply to Thread