D Link i704p router - Routers

This is a discussion on D Link i704p router - Routers ; I have this router DLinki704p and Optus Cable internet. I share the net with 2 computers in different rooms, would it be easy to share files also with this set up? Both pc's are running Windows XP (1 pro and ...

  1. D Link i704p router

    I have this router DLinki704p and Optus Cable internet.
    I share the net with 2 computers in different rooms, would it be easy to
    share files also with this set up?

    Both pc's are running Windows XP (1 pro and 1 home)

    Thanks

    Keith

  2. Re: D Link i704p router

    You can share files easily if you put them into the Shared Folders, or if
    you want to share specific folders you can set them to share and control the
    permissions of what people are allowed to do.

    "BB" wrote in message
    news:44703625$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >I have this router DLinki704p and Optus Cable internet.
    > I share the net with 2 computers in different rooms, would it be easy to
    > share files also with this set up?
    >
    > Both pc's are running Windows XP (1 pro and 1 home)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Keith

  3. Re: D Link i704p router

    Thanks EvilNem for your rely,
    As a test I have put files in "Shared Folders" on both computers but I can
    not see the contents of either pc from the other one?
    Is there any thing else I need to do? Turn of XP's firewall?
    Thanks for your help
    Keith

    "EvilNem" wrote in message
    > You can share files easily if you put them into the Shared Folders, or if
    > you want to share specific folders you can set them to share and control
    > the permissions of what people are allowed to do.
    >
    > "BB" wrote in message
    > news:44703625$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >>I have this router DLinki704p and Optus Cable internet.
    >> I share the net with 2 computers in different rooms, would it be easy to
    >> share files also with this set up?
    >>
    >> Both pc's are running Windows XP (1 pro and 1 home)
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Keith

  4. Re: D Link i704p router

    make sure you're both members of the same workgroup
    XP Professional may be set to Workgroup while XP Home may be set to the
    MSHOME workgroup
    Change both of these to the same thing (doesn't have to be one or the other
    can be something completely random if you like)
    Then when you look in Network places you should see both the PC's and their
    respective shared folders.

    Unless you have some form of hardware firewall, or other software firewall
    then I'd leave XP's firewall on otherwise your pc's a hazard to you and
    every other internet user, hehe

    hth
    E.

    "BB" wrote in message
    news:4471cf74$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Thanks EvilNem for your rely,
    > As a test I have put files in "Shared Folders" on both computers but I can
    > not see the contents of either pc from the other one?
    > Is there any thing else I need to do? Turn of XP's firewall?
    > Thanks for your help
    > Keith
    >

    > "EvilNem" wrote in message
    >> You can share files easily if you put them into the Shared Folders, or if
    >> you want to share specific folders you can set them to share and control
    >> the permissions of what people are allowed to do.
    >>
    >> "BB" wrote in message
    >> news:44703625$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >>>I have this router DLinki704p and Optus Cable internet.
    >>> I share the net with 2 computers in different rooms, would it be easy to
    >>> share files also with this set up?
    >>>
    >>> Both pc's are running Windows XP (1 pro and 1 home)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Keith

  5. Re: D Link i704p router

    Thanks a lot EvilNem, will give it a try..
    "EvilNem" wrote in message
    > make sure you're both members of the same workgroup
    > XP Professional may be set to Workgroup while XP Home may be set to the
    > MSHOME workgroup
    > Change both of these to the same thing (doesn't have to be one or the
    > other can be something completely random if you like)
    > Then when you look in Network places you should see both the PC's and
    > their respective shared folders.
    >
    > Unless you have some form of hardware firewall, or other software firewall
    > then I'd leave XP's firewall on otherwise your pc's a hazard to you and
    > every other internet user, hehe
    >
    > hth
    > E.
    >

    > "BB" wrote in message
    > news:4471cf74$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >> Thanks EvilNem for your rely,
    >> As a test I have put files in "Shared Folders" on both computers but I
    >> can not see the contents of either pc from the other one?
    >> Is there any thing else I need to do? Turn of XP's firewall?
    >> Thanks for your help
    >> Keith
    >>

    >> "EvilNem" wrote in message
    >>> You can share files easily if you put them into the Shared Folders, or
    >>> if you want to share specific folders you can set them to share and
    >>> control the permissions of what people are allowed to do.
    >>>
    >>> "BB" wrote in message
    >>> news:44703625$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

  6. Re: D Link i704p router

    You also need to create a user account on each computer for the other
    computer or turn on the guest account on each computer.

    "BB" wrote in message
    news:44730b75$0$25129$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Thanks a lot EvilNem, will give it a try..
    > "EvilNem" wrote in message
    >> make sure you're both members of the same workgroup
    >> XP Professional may be set to Workgroup while XP Home may be set to the
    >> MSHOME workgroup
    >> Change both of these to the same thing (doesn't have to be one or the
    >> other can be something completely random if you like)
    >> Then when you look in Network places you should see both the PC's and
    >> their respective shared folders.
    >>
    >> Unless you have some form of hardware firewall, or other software
    >> firewall then I'd leave XP's firewall on otherwise your pc's a hazard to
    >> you and every other internet user, hehe
    >>
    >> hth
    >> E.
    >>

    >> "BB" wrote in message
    >> news:4471cf74$0$25132$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >>> Thanks EvilNem for your rely,
    >>> As a test I have put files in "Shared Folders" on both computers but I
    >>> can not see the contents of either pc from the other one?
    >>> Is there any thing else I need to do? Turn of XP's firewall?
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>> Keith
    >>>

    >>> "EvilNem" wrote in message

  7. Re: D Link i704p router

    "Martin S." wrote in message
    > You also need to create a user account on each computer for the
    > other computer or turn on the guest account on each computer.

    Not true.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  8. Re: D Link i704p router

    Travis, the King of useful info.... Not true again....

    "Travis M." wrote in message
    > "Martin S." wrote in message
    >> You also need to create a user account on each computer for the
    >> other computer or turn on the guest account on each computer.

    > Not true.
    >

    >> "BB" wrote in message
    >> news:44730b75$0$25129$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >> > Thanks a lot EvilNem, will give it a try..
    >> > "EvilNem" wrote in message

    > --
    >

    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

  9. Re: D Link i704p router

    Martin,

    If the OP only intends to use shared folders then no user needs to be
    created, that was one of the good improvements of XP where unlike Win2k you
    had to be a user or have the guest account enabled, if however there is
    going to be use of share & NTFS permissions, then a user has to be created
    otherwise there is no AUL to cross check with.

    Cheers,

    E.

    "Martin S." wrote in message
    > Travis, the King of useful info.... Not true again....
    >

    > "Travis M." wrote in message
    >> "Martin S." wrote in message
    >>> You also need to create a user account on each computer for the
    >>> other computer or turn on the guest account on each computer.

    >> Not true.
    >>

    >>> "BB" wrote in message
    >>> news:44730b75$0$25129$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

    >> --
    >>

    >> Travis in Shoreline Washington

  10. Re: D Link i704p router

    "Martin S." wrote in message
    > Travis, the King of useful info.... Not true again....

    Neither of my 2 XP computers have an account on them for the
    other computer and both computers can see the drives and files on
    the other.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

    > "Travis M." wrote in message
    > > "Martin S." wrote in message
    > > > You also need to create a user account on each computer for
    > > > the
    > > > other computer or turn on the guest account on each
    > > > computer.

    > > Not true.

  11. Re: D Link i704p router

    Probably because you have the everyone permission allowed with a level of
    control (read, write or full control) when you shared the drives/folders
    originally
    This is provided you're using standard sharing, not simple sharing

    "Travis M." wrote in message
    > "Martin S." wrote in message
    >> Travis, the King of useful info.... Not true again....

    > Neither of my 2 XP computers have an account on them for the other
    > computer and both computers can see the drives and files on the other.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Travis in Shoreline Washington
    >

    >> "Travis M." wrote in message
    >> > "Martin S." wrote in message