Multiple Routers versus Single - Routers

This is a discussion on Multiple Routers versus Single - Routers ; Hi, I have had Comcast internet for about 5 years now and have accumulated various networking hardware, which I will list below. I'm thinking of upgrading a few components and wanted to get your opinions on which direction I should ...

  1. Multiple Routers versus Single

    Hi,

    I have had Comcast internet for about 5 years now and have accumulated
    various networking hardware, which I will list below. I'm thinking of
    upgrading a few components and wanted to get your opinions on which
    direction I should go.

    Here is my setup now:

    1. Coaxial cable goes into a Motorola Surboard SB3100 cable modem
    (very outdated modem, thinking of purchasing a new one, also internet
    has been cutting out multiple times per day). The internet problems
    seem to be random. There have been no system changes.

    2. Ethernet cable from SB3100 to Vonage provided router/VOIP (Linksys
    RT31P2) - also one phone cable input into this device

    3. Ethernet from Linksys RT31P2 to Netgear WGT624 router (the purpose
    of having this router is to provide wireless connectivity, which the
    Vonage provided Linksys does not).

    4. Netgear WGT624 to two PCs using two ports on the router

    So, my main question is, should I go with just a new modem (thinking of
    Motorola SB5120) or should I go with a router/VOIP combo (thinking of
    SBV5120)? The SBV5120 seems attractive, but it's not specified of
    having turboDOX like the SB5120 is, which I'm interested in. However,
    I believe that the usage of turboDOX is ISP dependent so I might not
    even have the ability to use turboDOX with Comcast.

    Thank you in advance for any comments,
    James

  2. Re: Multiple Routers versus Single

    | Hi,
    |
    | I have had Comcast internet for about 5 years now and have accumulated
    | various networking hardware, which I will list below. I'm thinking of
    | upgrading a few components and wanted to get your opinions on which
    | direction I should go.
    |
    | Here is my setup now:
    |
    | 1. Coaxial cable goes into a Motorola Surboard SB3100 cable modem
    | (very outdated modem, thinking of purchasing a new one, also internet
    | has been cutting out multiple times per day). The internet problems
    | seem to be random. There have been no system changes.
    |
    | 2. Ethernet cable from SB3100 to Vonage provided router/VOIP (Linksys
    | RT31P2) - also one phone cable input into this device
    |
    | 3. Ethernet from Linksys RT31P2 to Netgear WGT624 router (the purpose
    | of having this router is to provide wireless connectivity, which the
    | Vonage provided Linksys does not).
    |
    | 4. Netgear WGT624 to two PCs using two ports on the router
    |
    | So, my main question is, should I go with just a new modem (thinking of
    | Motorola SB5120) or should I go with a router/VOIP combo (thinking of
    | SBV5120)? The SBV5120 seems attractive, but it's not specified of
    | having turboDOX like the SB5120 is, which I'm interested in. However,
    | I believe that the usage of turboDOX is ISP dependent so I might not
    | even have the ability to use turboDOX with Comcast.
    |
    | Thank you in advance for any comments,
    | James

    Just a new DOCSIS Modem.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Multiple Routers versus Single

    Thanks for the reply.

    Do you think that multiple routers slow transmission speed much?
    Obviously, the simpler the better, but was wondering if there were any
    "hard and fast" rules that show that the more routers there are, the
    slower the transfer speed will be.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Multiple Routers versus Single

    | Thanks for the reply.
    |
    | Do you think that multiple routers slow transmission speed much?
    | Obviously, the simpler the better, but was wondering if there were any
    | "hard and fast" rules that show that the more routers there are, the
    | slower the transfer speed will be.
    |
    | Thanks.

    Each device will insert a delay factor, yes. Each Router will inert a "hop". Even a simple
    Ethernet Switch will insert a delay factor. This could be as little 30ns. However it won't
    be apparent unless you transfer large quantities of data. There is nothing in you post that
    requires multiple Routers. Routers mean take two different networks and control and pass
    traffic between them. You don't exhibit the requires of multiple networks.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

+ Reply to Thread