NETGEAR DG834PN - Routers

This is a discussion on NETGEAR DG834PN - Routers ; I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected via the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless facility. If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then ...

  1. NETGEAR DG834PN

    I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected via
    the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless facility.

    If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then
    everything works fine. If I set the security to WPA-PSK everything works
    fine. However if I set the security settings to WEP then although the
    wireless computers connect to the router (very good signal strength) I keep
    getting no connection when trying to go on the web.

    I have checked that the correct keys are being used (done this manually and
    by using the pass phrase) but to no avail. Am I missing something regarding
    WEP.

    Regards

    Ken

  2. Re: NETGEAR DG834PN

    The passphrase you select in the router config page, there is a generate
    button next to it, once you put your phrase in, click generate, it will then
    generate 4 key's based on a hash ecryption of the original phrase, it should
    look something like 321F5D3589
    This is the key you input when you try to connect using WEP, not the
    original passphrase.
    You're better off using WPA anyway, its slightly more secure than WEP.

    "Ken" wrote in message
    news:4464c1f5$0$24994$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected via
    >the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless facility.
    >
    > If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then
    > everything works fine. If I set the security to WPA-PSK everything works
    > fine. However if I set the security settings to WEP then although the
    > wireless computers connect to the router (very good signal strength) I
    > keep getting no connection when trying to go on the web.
    >
    > I have checked that the correct keys are being used (done this manually
    > and by using the pass phrase) but to no avail. Am I missing something
    > regarding WEP.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ken

  3. Re: NETGEAR DG834PN

    "EvilNem" wrote in message
    > The passphrase you select in the router config page, there is a generate
    > button next to it, once you put your phrase in, click generate, it will
    > then generate 4 key's based on a hash ecryption of the original phrase, it
    > should look something like 321F5D3589
    > This is the key you input when you try to connect using WEP, not the
    > original passphrase.
    > You're better off using WPA anyway, its slightly more secure than WEP.

    Have tried that - I have checked that the keys are exactly the same but
    still no joy.

    As you say I am better off using WPA - it's just that I don't like not
    knowing why something doesn't work when it should.

    Thanks for your reply

    Regards

    Ken
    > "Ken" wrote in message
    > news:4464c1f5$0$24994$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >>I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected
    >>via the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless facility.
    >>
    >> If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then
    >> everything works fine. If I set the security to WPA-PSK everything works
    >> fine. However if I set the security settings to WEP then although the
    >> wireless computers connect to the router (very good signal strength) I
    >> keep getting no connection when trying to go on the web.
    >>
    >> I have checked that the correct keys are being used (done this manually
    >> and by using the pass phrase) but to no avail. Am I missing something
    >> regarding WEP.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ken

  4. Re: NETGEAR DG834PN

    After years of working in IT.... my solution when something doesn't work ...
    you can always use it as a paperweight ... or see how many pieces it
    transforms into if you drop it out of a window =)

    "Ken" wrote in message
    news:4465fe53$0$24993$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...

    > "EvilNem" wrote in message
    >> The passphrase you select in the router config page, there is a generate
    >> button next to it, once you put your phrase in, click generate, it will
    >> then generate 4 key's based on a hash ecryption of the original phrase,
    >> it should look something like 321F5D3589
    >> This is the key you input when you try to connect using WEP, not the
    >> original passphrase.
    >> You're better off using WPA anyway, its slightly more secure than WEP.
    >>

    > Have tried that - I have checked that the keys are exactly the same but
    > still no joy.
    >
    > As you say I am better off using WPA - it's just that I don't like not
    > knowing why something doesn't work when it should.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ken
    >> "Ken" wrote in message
    >> news:4464c1f5$0$24994$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >>>I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected
    >>>via the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless
    >>>facility.
    >>>
    >>> If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then
    >>> everything works fine. If I set the security to WPA-PSK everything
    >>> works fine. However if I set the security settings to WEP then although
    >>> the wireless computers connect to the router (very good signal strength)
    >>> I keep getting no connection when trying to go on the web.
    >>>
    >>> I have checked that the correct keys are being used (done this manually
    >>> and by using the pass phrase) but to no avail. Am I missing something
    >>> regarding WEP.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Ken

  5. Re: NETGEAR DG834PN

    "Ken" wrote in message
    news:4464c1f5$0$24994$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
    >I have a NETGEAR Rangemax Model DG834PN. My main computer is connected via
    >the ethernet port, a second PC and a laptop use the wireless facility.
    >
    > If I set the Router, the wireless PC and laptop security to Disable then
    > everything works fine. If I set the security to WPA-PSK everything works
    > fine. However if I set the security settings to WEP then although the
    > wireless computers connect to the router (very good signal strength) I
    > keep getting no connection when trying to go on the web.
    >
    > I have checked that the correct keys are being used (done this manually
    > and by using the pass phrase) but to no avail. Am I missing something
    > regarding WEP.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ken

    This reply may be late for you and might not actually work for you, but it
    might...

    I just fixed a brand-new Netgear WPN824v.2 router tonight. It was
    purchased to provide extra range in a slighly inhospitable environment
    (metal lath and brick walls) .

    This may describe an extremely easy fix for you - your post contains the
    magic words: "the correct keys". You have the set of four WEP keys from
    the generate button, right? The short story - try removing the 2nd, 3rd
    and 4th keys and leave those fields blank. Use *only* the first key. Click
    Apply and let the router restart.

    Straight from the box, I configured this new router as the d-link it
    replaced; location-specific SSID, 192.168.5.x range, Wireless ON, WEP 64 and
    the four 64-bit keys that had been previously distributed.

    Straight from the box, this just *did not work*, and the D-Link had. The
    wired systems worked fine, and the wireless systems got great amounts of
    signal level but could NOT connect no matter how often I checked the
    spelling of the keys or changed other settings.

    In particular, my R31 Thinkpad could not connect, unless I used my new
    D-Link USB DWL G132 network adapter, which seems to give great results if
    there's any signal at all and supports up to 108. Nothing else onsite
    could connect. The Thinkpad's builtin wireless didn't stand a chance. I
    got WEP key errors and no IP *every* time, no matter how I confirmed the
    keys.

    I eventually tore the router down to factory reset and started over,
    testing with each changed entry. Finally, with no keys entered at all and
    encryption off, I was able to finally connect with the Thinkpad's builtin
    wireless.

    Then I went one step further, Set WEP, open, 64 bit, and for test just
    entered one key. The other three entries I left blank, though I had a list
    of keys.

    Suddenly, connection for the stock Thinkpad wireless was almost instant.
    They key was accepted within a couple of seconds. Thinking this a clue, I
    added a second key... and could no longer connect. Removed that second
    key.. connect was instant. Tried it with two or more keys exactly the same
    as the first - no connect. Remove the extra keys... snappy login.

    This looked like a hint.

    Then I went to check on the machine I was actually there to make work.
    With only the first of the four possible encryption keys entered, and the
    other three blank, it connected instantly, before it was done booting. Add
    a second key - and the connect disappeared. Removed that second key - back
    online.

    The hint looks like a trend.

    We shut everything down, brought it up again, and everything worked
    perfectly, including the machines that had been just unable to connect.
    And the wired machines seemed faster, probably from the router not spinning
    its virtual wheels refusing to authenticate.

    So, unless I'm mistaken, there's a firmware defect in some of these Netgear
    routers that prevents many slightly older wireless clients from actually
    logging in and getting an IP address, *if there is more than one WEP key
    entered*. This bug may also degrade wired router performance. This can
    easily be tested and worked around by using one and *only* one key entry,
    and erasing any but the first.

    I will note that I had previously tried turning WEP off as a test, and
    didn't get any connect. But when I did that, I still had the four keys
    listed. It wasn't till I erased the extra three that the problem resolved.

    I did not actually generate the key from a passphrase on that router (I was
    after all there to permit the client to once again commit work, and they
    kinda wanted me to be finished, not engage in scientific experiment) , but I
    wouldnt be surprised if generating they keys and populating all four entries
    would break it again.

    Hope this helps you resolve your problem.

    -pk

+ Reply to Thread