wireless security problem - Routers

This is a discussion on wireless security problem - Routers ; I have a desktop pc running XP Pro and an Alcatel Speedtouch 510 router providing my broadband connection. I also have an IBM Thinkpad which I want to use wirelessly in other parts of the house. I connected a KCorp ...

  1. wireless security problem

    I have a desktop pc running XP Pro and an Alcatel Speedtouch 510
    router providing my broadband connection. I also have an IBM Thinkpad
    which I want to use wirelessly in other parts of the house.

    I connected a KCorp Gold wireless router (which I happened to have) to
    one of the LAN ports on the Alcatel.

    I get perfectly good internet and network (ie connection to the
    desktop) access. BUT the only way it will connect is through a
    default, unsecured connection.

    Any attempt to set up a wireless secure network fails. Windows just
    says it can't connect to the desired network.I can't run the relevant
    wizard, since the KCorp doesn't have a usb port. I've checked the
    security key a hundred times - no joy. Permissions seem to be
    correctly set up - at least, they all work fine when I use the same
    setup wired.

    Can anybody suggest why I can't set up a secure connection - must be
    missing something.

    TIA - Pete

  2. Re: wireless security problem

    is there a way to login to the router? Either through using its IP address
    or some other way so you can see the wireless network settings and setup the
    appropriate security?
    I'm meaning much like the Netgear routers/modems/WAP's, they all have a html
    interface where you can setup WEP or WPA, when you set that on the
    WAP/Router then it should ask you for the network key (If you use WEP) and
    you can enter it, windows will automatically select it as your default
    connection.

    wrote in message news:qda862hhkog38p9n4eh6sp75agv6mt6d46@4ax.com...
    >I have a desktop pc running XP Pro and an Alcatel Speedtouch 510
    > router providing my broadband connection. I also have an IBM Thinkpad
    > which I want to use wirelessly in other parts of the house.
    >
    > I connected a KCorp Gold wireless router (which I happened to have) to
    > one of the LAN ports on the Alcatel.
    >
    > I get perfectly good internet and network (ie connection to the
    > desktop) access. BUT the only way it will connect is through a
    > default, unsecured connection.
    >
    > Any attempt to set up a wireless secure network fails. Windows just
    > says it can't connect to the desired network.I can't run the relevant
    > wizard, since the KCorp doesn't have a usb port. I've checked the
    > security key a hundred times - no joy. Permissions seem to be
    > correctly set up - at least, they all work fine when I use the same
    > setup wired.
    >
    > Can anybody suggest why I can't set up a secure connection - must be
    > missing something.
    >
    > TIA - Pete

  3. Re: wireless security problem

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:26:21 +1000, "EvilNem"
    wrote:

    >is there a way to login to the router? Either through using its IP address
    >or some other way so you can see the wireless network settings and setup the
    >appropriate security?
    >I'm meaning much like the Netgear routers/modems/WAP's, they all have a html
    >interface where you can setup WEP or WPA, when you set that on the
    >WAP/Router then it should ask you for the network key (If you use WEP) and
    >you can enter it, windows will automatically select it as your default
    >connection.
    >
    > wrote in message news:qda862hhkog38p9n4eh6sp75agv6mt6d46@4ax.com...
    >>I have a desktop pc running XP Pro and an Alcatel Speedtouch 510
    >> router providing my broadband connection. I also have an IBM Thinkpad
    >> which I want to use wirelessly in other parts of the house.
    >>
    >> I connected a KCorp Gold wireless router (which I happened to have) to
    >> one of the LAN ports on the Alcatel.
    >>
    >> I get perfectly good internet and network (ie connection to the
    >> desktop) access. BUT the only way it will connect is through a
    >> default, unsecured connection.
    >>
    >> Any attempt to set up a wireless secure network fails. Windows just
    >> says it can't connect to the desired network.I can't run the relevant
    >> wizard, since the KCorp doesn't have a usb port. I've checked the
    >> security key a hundred times - no joy. Permissions seem to be
    >> correctly set up - at least, they all work fine when I use the same
    >> setup wired.
    >>
    >> Can anybody suggest why I can't set up a secure connection - must be
    >> missing something.
    >>
    >> TIA - Pete

    As soon as I plug in the wireless router neither the desktop nor the
    laptop are able to access the Speedtouch - or the KCorp. If I unplug
    it, Speedtouch html connection returns.

    This is irritating.....

  4. Re: wireless security problem

    Sounds like the router is assigning you an IP address on a different subnet
    to the router.
    Check the manufacturer's website for instructions on how to configure the
    router.
    Also, just to double check, your setup goes something like this right?

    Modem --> WAN/Internet Port on Router ---> Desktop PC connected to ethernet
    port on router

    wrote in message news:uj2962lglbrjisbglan9ecgii6he7vh981@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:26:21 +1000, "EvilNem"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>is there a way to login to the router? Either through using its IP address
    >>or some other way so you can see the wireless network settings and setup
    >>the
    >>appropriate security?
    >>I'm meaning much like the Netgear routers/modems/WAP's, they all have a
    >>html
    >>interface where you can setup WEP or WPA, when you set that on the
    >>WAP/Router then it should ask you for the network key (If you use WEP) and
    >>you can enter it, windows will automatically select it as your default
    >>connection.
    >>
    >> wrote in message news:qda862hhkog38p9n4eh6sp75agv6mt6d46@4ax.com...
    >>>I have a desktop pc running XP Pro and an Alcatel Speedtouch 510
    >>> router providing my broadband connection. I also have an IBM Thinkpad
    >>> which I want to use wirelessly in other parts of the house.
    >>>
    >>> I connected a KCorp Gold wireless router (which I happened to have) to
    >>> one of the LAN ports on the Alcatel.
    >>>
    >>> I get perfectly good internet and network (ie connection to the
    >>> desktop) access. BUT the only way it will connect is through a
    >>> default, unsecured connection.
    >>>
    >>> Any attempt to set up a wireless secure network fails. Windows just
    >>> says it can't connect to the desired network.I can't run the relevant
    >>> wizard, since the KCorp doesn't have a usb port. I've checked the
    >>> security key a hundred times - no joy. Permissions seem to be
    >>> correctly set up - at least, they all work fine when I use the same
    >>> setup wired.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody suggest why I can't set up a secure connection - must be
    >>> missing something.
    >>>
    >>> TIA - Pete

    > As soon as I plug in the wireless router neither the desktop nor the
    > laptop are able to access the Speedtouch - or the KCorp. If I unplug
    > it, Speedtouch html connection returns.
    >
    > This is irritating.....

+ Reply to Thread