Uplink port ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Uplink port ? - Routers ; I have been given a big old router D-Link DSH-32. I have a couple of computers I want to run off of it from a network cable. What I dont understand is that when I put the cable connected to ...

  1. Uplink port ?

    I have been given a big old router D-Link DSH-32.

    I have a couple of computers I want to run off of it from a network
    cable.

    What I dont understand is that when I put the cable connected to the
    network into one of the 32 ports and then put one of my computers into
    the uplink port (there are two ports The computer network works eg my
    computer is connected to the network.)

    When I do the reverse it does not work at all. Idont understand how I
    can plug more computers into this router and make them connect up.

    I thought that I would be able to plug one active network cable into
    the router and then it would give me 32 more ports to plug computers
    into.

    Regards

  2. Re: Uplink port ?

    From: "steve"

    | I have been given a big old router D-Link DSH-32.
    |
    | I have a couple of computers I want to run off of it from a network
    | cable.
    |
    | What I dont understand is that when I put the cable connected to the
    | network into one of the 32 ports and then put one of my computers into
    | the uplink port (there are two ports The computer network works eg my
    | computer is connected to the network.)
    |
    | When I do the reverse it does not work at all. Idont understand how I
    | can plug more computers into this router and make them connect up.
    |
    | I thought that I would be able to plug one active network cable into
    | the router and then it would give me 32 more ports to plug computers
    | into.
    |
    | Regards

    Router ?

    It is either a hub or an Ethernet switch. I couldn't find a manual for this device but what
    I could find says it supports N-Way negotiation so I'll assume it is an E-Switch.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Uplink port ?

    From: "David H. Lipman"

    | Router ?
    |
    | It is either a hub or an Ethernet switch. I couldn't find a manual for this device but
    | what I could find says it supports N-Way negotiation so I'll assume it is an E-Switch.

    I clicked 'send' too sooon :-(

    You may need a cross-over cable.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  4. Re: Uplink port ?

    You mean from the network to the uplink port ??

    Sorry I dont know?

  5. Re: Uplink port ?

    From: "steve"

    | You mean from the network to the uplink port ??
    |
    | Sorry I dont know?

    Between the router and this Ethernet switch.

    Between whatever multi-port device nad this 32 port device if the 32 port device does not
    have an explicit UpLink port or a Cross-Over switch.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

+ Reply to Thread