Weak/no connection xDSL WinXP - Routers

This is a discussion on Weak/no connection xDSL WinXP - Routers ; Dear all, Currently I'm having a weird problem, my PC cannot connect to the router under certain circumstances. I'm using: - Windows XP Professional XP2 - DELL Dimension 4600 w/ integrated 10/100 Ethernet card - Sitecom router DC-202v5 (firmware 1.97e4 ...

  1. Weak/no connection xDSL WinXP

    Dear all,

    Currently I'm having a weird problem, my PC cannot connect to the
    router under certain circumstances.

    I'm using:
    - Windows XP Professional XP2
    - DELL Dimension 4600 w/ integrated 10/100 Ethernet card
    - Sitecom router DC-202v5 (firmware 1.97e4 (latest))
    - xDSL modem integrated in wall socket (glass fibre)

    I've tried the following ways to my PC connect to the router:
    1- modem/wall socket - 30m UTP cat 5 cable - router - 1m UTP cat 5
    cable - network card PC [works perfectly]
    2- modem/wall socket - 30m UTP cat 5 cable - network card PC [doesn't
    work: weak/ no connection possible]
    3- modem/wall socket - 1m UTP cat 5 cable - router - 30m UTP cat 5
    cable - network card PC [doesn't work: weak/ no connection possible]

    Given the fact the wall socket cannot be relocated and additionally
    that near this socket there's another PC to be connected (which works
    in all cases above), what is the best solution? (Number 1 would not be
    efficient, as it would require two long cables from room A to B and
    vice versa.)

    Thanks in advance,
    theredspecial

  2. Re: Weak/no connection xDSL WinXP

    addition:

    - full/half-duplex settings make it slightly more confusing:
    * automatic: weak/no connection
    * 100 Mbps full and duplex: weak/no connection (both router and
    ethernet card are 10/100 Mbps)
    * 10 Mbps: half: Weak/no connection
    * 10 Mbps: full: connection, IP assigned, but connecting to internet is
    not possible

+ Reply to Thread