D-Link DI-524 VPN problem - Routers

This is a discussion on D-Link DI-524 VPN problem - Routers ; Having problem with getting VPN to work on my D-Link DI-524 (firmware 3.2) ..My setup is this: Cable modem connected to DI-524. Several computers connected to DI-524 via wireless and ethernet. All working fine. One of the computers (192.168.XX.198) set ...

  1. D-Link DI-524 VPN problem

    Having problem with getting VPN to work on my D-Link DI-524 (firmware 3.2)
    ..My setup is this:

    Cable modem connected to DI-524. Several computers connected to DI-524 via
    wireless and ethernet. All working fine. One of the computers
    (192.168.XX.198) set up for HTTP and VPN service. HTTP server working fine.
    VPN is not. On the "virtual servers" page I have PPTP pointing at
    192.198.XX.198. Protocol is set to both (TCP & UDP). Private & public ports
    set to 1723. Schedule set to always. On the "Tools/Misc" page I have enabled
    PPTP & IPSec. DI-524 "Firewall" page entry is:

    Allow PPTP WAN,* LAN,192.168.XX.198 LAN,, 192.168.XX.198*1723

    On the server (192.168.XX.198) I have VPN enabled with active users (Win
    XP).

    I am using DynDNS to convert my dynamic cable modem IP to a static text
    address. Again, it's working fine for my HTTP server on the same server
    computer. When I VPN into the server computer from inside my local network
    using the server's inside IP address I get in fine. From outside my local
    network, when I open up DMZ and use my DynDNS text address , I get in OK.
    (Tells me that setup on the client and the server is good?), but without DMZ
    open, VPN login hangs at the "verifying user name and password" dialog then
    times out and says the server is not responding. I have also tried to VPN
    using my cable modem assigned IP address to bypass the DynDNS address. This
    does not work either. Bottom line - with DMZ open it works, closed it does
    not.

    Do I have a problem with the setup? Are there other ports I need to open?
    Anyone else having problems with VPN on DI-524? Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks - Steve

  2. Re: D-Link DI-524 VPN problem

    Solved my own problem after much trial and error. I originally had the
    protocol set to BOTH (TCP & UDP). When I reset to TCP only, VPN logs in OK.

    "spt7566" wrote in message
    news:62c81$445e7577$48090718$3015@news.flashnewsgr oups.com...
    > Having problem with getting VPN to work on my D-Link DI-524 (firmware 3.2)
    > .My setup is this:
    >
    > Cable modem connected to DI-524. Several computers connected to DI-524 via
    > wireless and ethernet. All working fine. One of the computers
    > (192.168.XX.198) set up for HTTP and VPN service. HTTP server working
    > fine. VPN is not. On the "virtual servers" page I have PPTP pointing at
    > 192.198.XX.198. Protocol is set to both (TCP & UDP). Private & public
    > ports set to 1723. Schedule set to always. On the "Tools/Misc" page I have
    > enabled PPTP & IPSec. DI-524 "Firewall" page entry is:
    >
    > Allow PPTP WAN,* LAN,192.168.XX.198 LAN,, 192.168.XX.198*1723
    >

    > On the server (192.168.XX.198) I have VPN enabled with active users (Win
    > XP).
    >
    > I am using DynDNS to convert my dynamic cable modem IP to a static text
    > address. Again, it's working fine for my HTTP server on the same server
    > computer. When I VPN into the server computer from inside my local network
    > using the server's inside IP address I get in fine. From outside my local
    > network, when I open up DMZ and use my DynDNS text address , I get in OK.
    > (Tells me that setup on the client and the server is good?), but without
    > DMZ open, VPN login hangs at the "verifying user name and password" dialog
    > then times out and says the server is not responding. I have also tried to
    > VPN using my cable modem assigned IP address to bypass the DynDNS address.
    > This does not work either. Bottom line - with DMZ open it works, closed it
    > does not.
    >
    > Do I have a problem with the setup? Are there other ports I need to open?
    > Anyone else having problems with VPN on DI-524? Any suggestions
    > appreciated. Thanks - Steve

+ Reply to Thread