Question about Security and a networked hard drive - Routers

This is a discussion on Question about Security and a networked hard drive - Routers ; I am using a Linksys Wireless router with 3 wireless and 1 wired computer accessing it. I have it set up using WEP encryption which I know is not the best solution, but it is working fine for me. Here ...

  1. Question about Security and a networked hard drive

    I am using a Linksys Wireless router with 3 wireless and 1 wired computer
    accessing it. I have it set up using WEP encryption which I know is not the
    best solution, but it is working fine for me.

    Here is my question...

    I have just put a Western Digital network hard drive onto the router (wired)
    so that I now have extra HD space for all of my wireless network. Am I
    correct in assuming that anyone attempting to access the hard drive from
    OUTSIDE of this network still needs to get through the WEP encryption to do
    so, or have I opened up access to it for my next door neighbor? Thinking out
    loud, I would assume that it is the router that has the encryption key tied
    to it and one must get through IT in order to get to the HD, just like to
    any of my computers...is this correct?

    Again, I am not concerend about anyone from within my wireless network
    gaining access, just from the outside.

  2. Re: Question about Security and a networked hard drive

    Jay A wrote:

    > I am using a Linksys Wireless router with 3 wireless and 1 wired computer
    > accessing it. I have it set up using WEP encryption which I know is not
    > the best solution, but it is working fine for me.
    >
    > Here is my question...
    >
    > I have just put a Western Digital network hard drive onto the router
    > (wired) so that I now have extra HD space for all of my wireless network.
    > Am I correct in assuming that anyone attempting to access the hard drive
    > from OUTSIDE of this network still needs to get through the WEP encryption
    > to do so, or have I opened up access to it for my next door neighbor?
    > Thinking out loud, I would assume that it is the router that has the
    > encryption key tied to it and one must get through IT in order to get to
    > the HD, just like to any of my computers...is this correct?
    >
    > Again, I am not concerend about anyone from within my wireless network
    > gaining access, just from the outside.

    If the outside can't get to the router, they can't get to the WAN, the LAN,
    nor the HD.
    --
    Dirk Roos

+ Reply to Thread