How does web sites know how to route - Routers

This is a discussion on How does web sites know how to route - Routers ; Hi there Could anyone please explain how routing to a website works? I basically need to know what happens when a site is requested by a web browser in one country, when the site is hosted in another. For the ...

  1. How does web sites know how to route

    Hi there

    Could anyone please explain how routing to a website works?

    I basically need to know what happens when a site is requested by a web
    browser in one country, when the site is hosted in another. For the sake of
    the example, say the site is in the United Kingdom and the visitor is in
    South Africa.

    The way I currently understand it:

    1. My browser interrogates my IP settings and finds a DNS server.
    2. The DNS server "traverses" until it finds a DNS server with the
    requested site name, and converst this to an IP address.
    3. My Computer connects to the other IP adddress.

    The actual question (excuse the long intro):

    Why do some sites first go through the USA and then only to the UK (Is it a
    routing or a DNS problem)?

    Why do some sites have more and other less "hops" to the actual www server?

    any help will be much appreciated.

    TYIA

    P Smit

  2. Re: How does web sites know how to route

    Easy answer....EVERY web site ahs a unique IP address, yes even
    www.yahoo.com is in reality http://216.109.117.106/ and a few others.
    A router just sends the info to a central point that then converts the
    name into an ip address and then sends it to the correct place.

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:00:44 +0200, "Phlippie Smit"
    wrote:

    >Hi there
    >
    >Could anyone please explain how routing to a website works?
    >
    >I basically need to know what happens when a site is requested by a web
    >browser in one country, when the site is hosted in another. For the sake of
    >the example, say the site is in the United Kingdom and the visitor is in
    >South Africa.
    >
    >The way I currently understand it:
    >
    >1. My browser interrogates my IP settings and finds a DNS server.
    >2. The DNS server "traverses" until it finds a DNS server with the
    >requested site name, and converst this to an IP address.
    >3. My Computer connects to the other IP adddress.
    >
    >The actual question (excuse the long intro):
    >
    >Why do some sites first go through the USA and then only to the UK (Is it a
    >routing or a DNS problem)?
    >
    >Why do some sites have more and other less "hops" to the actual www server?
    >
    >any help will be much appreciated.
    >
    >TYIA
    >
    >P Smit

  3. Re: How does web sites know how to route

    Each hop is from one Internet router to another. The "goal" of a
    router is to pass on a packet to another router that is "closer" to the
    final destination.

    The DNS server only translates URLs into IP addresses. Your DNS server
    need not be anywhere near your site. A DNS server broadcasts your DNS
    information throughout the Internet.

    Finding a route involves making trade-offs. Perhaps the logical next
    hop from the current router is to a router that currently is busy.
    Maybe a closer router (in number of hops, for example) has a slower
    link to the current router. The actual algorithm is unimportant
    because it may change, and the results will change as traffic patterns
    change and as equipment is removed or added. The packets seek a "best"
    path to their destination. (I am not an expert on Internet routing
    algorithms, anyway.)

    Why go from S.Africa to U.K through U.S.? Probably the connections
    from S. Africa to U.S. are fast as are those from U.S. to U.K. Compare
    to going to Egypt, then to U.K., for example.

    You probably already know about traceroute (Windows version = tracert;
    run from command prompt window). It tells you the route and the time
    per hop so you know how efficiently you can get to a given site.

+ Reply to Thread