Home LAN - Almost Networked ! - Routers

This is a discussion on Home LAN - Almost Networked ! - Routers ; I am attempting to network 3 machines in a LAN and have almost succeeded! The machines are as follows :- DTOP - this is the main Desktop PC and has XP Pro SP2 and connects to the Web through a ...

  1. Home LAN - Almost Networked !

    I am attempting to network 3 machines in a LAN and have almost
    succeeded!

    The machines are as follows :-

    DTOP - this is the main Desktop PC and has XP Pro SP2 and connects to
    the Web through a ZyXEL DSL modem to a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router
    and then by NIC card.

    ltop - this is my laptop , also with XP Pro SP2 , and linked to DTOP
    by Linksys Adapter card using the Wireless Router above.

    OLD - this is another older PC which has W2K SP4 and links to to the
    DTOP using a Linksys Wireless NIC.

    All 3 can access the Web and can see each other in Network Places and
    see also their shared files.

    All 3 have IP's as follows :-

    DTOP

    192.168.1.100

    ltop

    192.168.1.104

    OLD

    192.168.1.105

    All 3 can ping each other both using IP's and names.

    The only remaining problem is that , if I attempt to access OLD from
    ltop by clicking on the OLD icon in Network Places , Iget a dialogue
    box asking for a Password . This box is the same box I get if I
    attempt to access the Linksys Router ( which is the DEFAULT GATEWAY in
    this LAN) and has the IP 192.168.1.1.

    This does not happen if I attempt this in the reverse direction - i.e.
    clicking "ltop " from OLD gets straight to that machine and its shared
    drives without any request for passwords.

    Neither does this password request happen when these connections are
    intiated from DTOP.

    Can anyone explain this behaviour

    B.N.
    --

    to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  2. Re: Home LAN - Almost Networked !

    check to see if the guest account is on on the machines, otherwise it could
    be a sharing permissions violation.
    Although with windows 2000 you usually needed to enter a user/pass
    combination to access it anyway, XP allows guest/anonymous access if you
    permit.

    Alternative is you could map a network drive on the old pc and set it to
    connect at logon and will automatically provide the user/pass to get onto
    the 2000 desktop

    wrote in message
    >I am attempting to network 3 machines in a LAN and have almost
    > succeeded!
    >
    > The machines are as follows :-
    >
    > DTOP - this is the main Desktop PC and has XP Pro SP2 and connects to
    > the Web through a ZyXEL DSL modem to a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router
    > and then by NIC card.
    >
    > ltop - this is my laptop , also with XP Pro SP2 , and linked to DTOP
    > by Linksys Adapter card using the Wireless Router above.
    >
    > OLD - this is another older PC which has W2K SP4 and links to to the
    > DTOP using a Linksys Wireless NIC.
    >
    > All 3 can access the Web and can see each other in Network Places and
    > see also their shared files.
    >
    > All 3 have IP's as follows :-
    >
    > DTOP
    >
    > 192.168.1.100
    >
    > ltop
    >
    > 192.168.1.104
    >
    > OLD
    >
    > 192.168.1.105
    >
    > All 3 can ping each other both using IP's and names.
    >

    > The only remaining problem is that , if I attempt to access OLD from
    > ltop by clicking on the OLD icon in Network Places , Iget a dialogue
    > box asking for a Password . This box is the same box I get if I
    > attempt to access the Linksys Router ( which is the DEFAULT GATEWAY in
    > this LAN) and has the IP 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > This does not happen if I attempt this in the reverse direction - i.e.
    > clicking "ltop " from OLD gets straight to that machine and its shared
    > drives without any request for passwords.
    >
    > Neither does this password request happen when these connections are
    > intiated from DTOP.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this behaviour
    >
    > B.N.
    > --
    >
    > to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  3. Re: Home LAN - Almost Networked !

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:29:38 +1000, "EvilNem"
    wrote:

    >check to see if the guest account is on on the machines, otherwise it could
    >be a sharing permissions violation.
    >Although with windows 2000 you usually needed to enter a user/pass
    >combination to access it anyway, XP allows guest/anonymous access if you
    >permit.
    >
    >Alternative is you could map a network drive on the old pc and set it to
    >connect at logon and will automatically provide the user/pass to get onto
    >the 2000 desktop

    Thanks for the advice . The Guest Accounts on

    --

    to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

  4. Re: Home LAN - Almost Networked !

    wrote:

    >check to see if the guest account is on on the machines, otherwise it could
    >be a sharing permissions violation.
    >Although with windows 2000 you usually needed to enter a user/pass
    >combination to access it anyway, XP allows guest/anonymous access if you
    >permit.
    >
    >Alternative is you could map a network drive on the old pc and set it to
    >connect at logon and will automatically provide the user/pass to get onto
    >the 2000 desktop

    The Guest Accounts are closed on the 2 XP Pro machines but open on the
    W2K machine , i.e. closed on DTOP & ltop but open on OLD.

    It appears that your remarks about W2K being different with regard to
    the use of users/passwords vis-a-vis XP Pro pointed me to the solution
    to this problem as I was unaware of that difference until you
    mentioned it.

    After playing around with password settings on the W2K PC I got the
    sharing to work when going from ltop to OLD which was the only thing
    which didn't work before in this LAN setup.

    It now appears that the Password request dialogue was W2K asking for
    these details . I had assumed that this dialogue was the result of
    ltop confusing OLD with the router as the two password dialogues look,
    and are, identical.

    I have been struggling with this anomaly in the LAN setup now for some
    weeks , so I am most appreciative of your help.

    Lets hope it will help any others who are similarly confused and read
    these posts.

    regards,

    B.N.
    --