I've got a Netgear WGR614 wireless "G" router at home. It is a V2.
Internet access sharing is for a Time Warner cable modem (RCA brand, not
sure of the model number). Firewall is a software firewall, published by
Panda Software, Internet Security 2005, or something like that. The
computer itself is a homebuilt with a Biostar brand mainboard, P4 Prescott
processor, 1 Gig of RAM, Windows XP Pro. Network is a VIA chipset 10/100
network adapter, built into the Biostar mainboard.

A friend has a Netgear WGR614 wireless "G" router at his home, also. It is
a V6. Internet access sharing is for a Time Warner cable modem (Motorola
SB4200). Firewall is a software firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall. The
computer itself is a Dell system with a Xeon (yes, Xeon) processor, 1 Gig of
RAM, Windows XP Pro. Network is a Intel Pro/1000 network adapter, built
into the Dell labeled mainboard.

These systems have two things in common, near as I can tell:
1) Both using Netgear WGR614 routers
2) Both have intermittent problems connecting to usenet, AND NO OTHER
INTERNET PROBLEMS. The intermittent problem is a pop-up window that says
can't connect to server, choices are "try again" or "work offline".

How I know that the problem is in the router:
My system has always had the router installed, and always had the
Intermittent usenet connection problem. Usually, just hitting "try again"
will fix it, but it's annoying as heck. I didn't suspect the router until:
My friend's system developed the same problem at the exact instant that the
router was installed. Removing the router again solved the usenet
connection problem.
So I took the router out of my own system temporarily, and the usenet
connection problem disappeared.

Can anybody think of a good explanation as to why this is happening? Both
networks have the problem whether any other computer is connected to the
router or not. -Dave