Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ... - Routers

This is a discussion on Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ... - Routers ; Hi group! Thought I'd run this by you to see if anyone can help ... Internet | ADSL | --WAN(wired router 2nd floor) Lan1 XPPro1 (workgroup) Lan2 XPPro2 (workgroup) Lan3 Lan4 WAN(wireless router basement) Lan1 XPPro3 (workgroup) Lan2 Lan3 Lan4 ...

  1. Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ...

    Hi group!
    Thought I'd run this by you to see if anyone can help ...

    Internet

    ADSL

    --WAN(wired router 2nd floor)
    Lan1<-cat5->XPPro1 (workgroup)
    Lan2<-cat5->XPPro2 (workgroup)
    Lan3
    Lan4<-cat5->WAN(wireless router basement)
    Lan1<-cat5->XPPro3 (workgroup)
    Lan2
    Lan3
    Lan4
    Antenna<-->W98 laptop w/cardbus wireless adapter
    (workgroup)

    XPPro1 and XPPro2 can see each other
    XPPro3 and W98 can see each other
    All have internet access

    Is it possible to set up so that all (XPs and 98) can see each other
    (peer)?

    I need:
    - file sharing XPPro1<-->XPPro3
    - remote desktop (Radmin) XPPro3<-->W98 (currently working)

    I cant seem to get the wired network (XP1&2) seeing the wireless network
    (XP3&98)
    Shop guys said I need to plug wired Lan4 port into a wireless Lan port
    (instead of wireless WAN port) and disable DHCP on wireless router. This
    doesn't seem right to me though.

    /any help appreciated

  2. Re: Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ...

    > Shop guys said I need to plug wired Lan4 port into a wireless Lan port
    > (instead of wireless WAN port) and disable DHCP on wireless router.

    Shop guys are correct.

  3. Re: Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ...

    Yes the shop guys are correct. Only one router can dole out IP addresses in
    your network. That's what DHCP does.
    You also need to plug your W98 PC into your nested router's LAN port
    Here are a few things you may want to try after you have done all that:

    See if you can ping the IP address of your DHCP router from the W98
    Go to Start / Run / type in command
    Type ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever your router's IP address is
    If you get a response you at least have a connection to the router.
    If not, something else is probably no connected right.
    Check the IP settings for your W98s wireless adapter
    Go to Network Settings in the Control Panel
    Identifiy the IP section for your wireless adapter
    Check the properties and make sure it is set to "Obtain IP Address
    Automatically"
    Reset the adapters IP address
    Go to Start / Run and type command
    Type ipconfig which will give you the current IP configuration
    status of network adapaters
    Determine which device is your wireless adapter. It may be
    numbered 0 or 1 or 2 etc.
    type ipcconfig /release x where x=the number of your wireless
    adapter. It should respond that the wireless adapter is now at 0.0.0.0
    type ipconfig /renew x It all goes well it should give you an IP
    address similar to your router's such as 192.168.1.4

    Optionally you may want to assign IP addresses on in your main routers DHCP
    table. Assign them to your XP boxes, your nested router and your W98 box

    I hope that helps

    "Rod Morningwood" wrote in message
    > Hi group!
    > Thought I'd run this by you to see if anyone can help ...
    >
    > Internet
    > |
    > ADSL
    > |
    > --WAN(wired router 2nd floor)
    > Lan1<-cat5->XPPro1 (workgroup)
    > Lan2<-cat5->XPPro2 (workgroup)
    > Lan3
    > Lan4<-cat5->WAN(wireless router basement)
    > Lan1<-cat5->XPPro3 (workgroup)
    > Lan2
    > Lan3
    > Lan4
    > Antenna<-->W98 laptop w/cardbus wireless adapter
    > (workgroup)
    >
    > XPPro1 and XPPro2 can see each other
    > XPPro3 and W98 can see each other
    > All have internet access
    >
    > Is it possible to set up so that all (XPs and 98) can see each other
    > (peer)?
    >
    > I need:
    > - file sharing XPPro1<-->XPPro3
    > - remote desktop (Radmin) XPPro3<-->W98 (currently working)
    >
    > I cant seem to get the wired network (XP1&2) seeing the wireless network
    > (XP3&98)
    > Shop guys said I need to plug wired Lan4 port into a wireless Lan port
    > (instead of wireless WAN port) and disable DHCP on wireless router. This
    > doesn't seem right to me though.
    >
    > /any help appreciated

  4. Re: Nested LAN problem - Help for noob! ...

    Rod Morningwood wrote:
    > Hi group!
    > Thought I'd run this by you to see if anyone can help ...
    >
    > Internet
    > |
    > ADSL
    > |
    > --WAN(wired router 2nd floor)
    > Lan1<-cat5->XPPro1 (workgroup)
    > Lan2<-cat5->XPPro2 (workgroup)
    > Lan3
    > Lan4<-cat5->WAN(wireless router basement)
    > Lan1<-cat5->XPPro3 (workgroup)
    > Lan2
    > Lan3
    > Lan4
    > Antenna<-->W98 laptop w/cardbus wireless adapter
    > (workgroup)
    >
    > XPPro1 and XPPro2 can see each other
    > XPPro3 and W98 can see each other
    > All have internet access
    >
    > Is it possible to set up so that all (XPs and 98) can see each other
    > (peer)?
    >
    > I need:
    > - file sharing XPPro1<-->XPPro3
    > - remote desktop (Radmin) XPPro3<-->W98 (currently working)
    >
    > I cant seem to get the wired network (XP1&2) seeing the wireless network
    > (XP3&98)
    > Shop guys said I need to plug wired Lan4 port into a wireless Lan port
    > (instead of wireless WAN port) and disable DHCP on wireless router. This
    > doesn't seem right to me though.
    >
    > /any help appreciated

    Check the instructions for the wireless router. Some models can be setup
    as an access point while still retaining the hub/switch capabilities.
    The connections as shown remain. You need to check to make sure all
    security features you are using are still available when used in this
    mode. The Wired router (second floor in your diagram) will handle all
    DHCP requests.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread