Wireless router problem (DHCP?) - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless router problem (DHCP?) - Routers ; I'm using a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (connected by ethernet to my desktop WinXP SP2 machine). DHCP is enabled and by default the DHCP server gives out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2, end IP is 192.168.1.254. I've got ...

  1. Wireless router problem (DHCP?)

    I'm using a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (connected by
    ethernet to my desktop WinXP SP2 machine). DHCP is enabled and by default
    the DHCP server gives out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2, end IP is
    192.168.1.254.

    I've got a Netgear MA521 PCMCIA wireless card adaptor in my laptop.
    According to the Netgear configuration utility, the laptop (or perhaps, more
    properly, the wireless card) sees the router - "Link" LED is lit, Signal
    Strength is 98%, Link Quality is 97% - but it doesn't get an IP address, or
    at least not a correct one (ipconfig shows 169.254.157.169 - where the hell
    did that come from???).

    From a command prompt, ipconfig/release says no action can be taken (for
    some reason that I can't remember) and ipconfig/renew says that DHCP server
    is unreachable and times out.

    Looking at the "Wireless Clients Table" of the router, it shows the MAC
    address of the card in the laptop and time connected. So, to summarize,
    wireless router sees wireless card in laptop and laptop sees router but
    doesn't get IP address from routers DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?

    Cheers,

    Mogweed.

  2. Re: Wireless router problem (DHCP?)

    Sounds like your laptop is assigning a static ip address. If you want it to
    obtain an ip address from your router then do the following...

    1.. Right-click the My Network Places icon on the desktop and click
    Properties.
    or
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click once on Network and
    Internet Connections. Click once on Network Connections.
    or
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then Double-click on Network
    Connections.

    2.. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and then click Properties.
    Scroll to the bottom of the "This connection uses the following items:" and
    highlight (select) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Then click Properties.

    3.. Click on the general tab. Make sure “Obtain ip address automatically”
    is selected.

    "Mogweed." wrote in message
    > I'm using a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (connected by
    > ethernet to my desktop WinXP SP2 machine). DHCP is enabled and by default
    > the DHCP server gives out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2, end IP is
    > 192.168.1.254.
    >
    > I've got a Netgear MA521 PCMCIA wireless card adaptor in my laptop.
    > According to the Netgear configuration utility, the laptop (or perhaps,
    > more properly, the wireless card) sees the router - "Link" LED is lit,
    > Signal Strength is 98%, Link Quality is 97% - but it doesn't get an IP
    > address, or at least not a correct one (ipconfig shows 169.254.157.169 -
    > where the hell did that come from???).
    >
    > From a command prompt, ipconfig/release says no action can be taken (for
    > some reason that I can't remember) and ipconfig/renew says that DHCP
    > server is unreachable and times out.
    >
    > Looking at the "Wireless Clients Table" of the router, it shows the MAC
    > address of the card in the laptop and time connected. So, to summarize,
    > wireless router sees wireless card in laptop and laptop sees router but
    > doesn't get IP address from routers DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Mogweed.

  3. Re: Wireless router problem (DHCP?)

    "xyz" wrote in message
    news:RZOdnX73MbmDnanZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Sounds like your laptop is assigning a static ip address. If you want it
    > obtain an ip address from your router then do the following...
    >
    > 1.. Right-click the My Network Places icon on the desktop and click
    > Properties.
    > or
    > Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click once on Network and
    > Internet Connections. Click once on Network Connections.
    > or
    > Click Start, click Control Panel, and then Double-click on Network
    > Connections.
    >
    > 2.. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and then click Properties.
    > Scroll to the bottom of the "This connection uses the following items:"
    > and
    > highlight (select) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Then click Properties.
    >
    > 3.. Click on the general tab. Make sure "Obtain ip address automatically"
    > is selected.
    >

    > "Mogweed." wrote in message
    >> I'm using a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (connected by
    >> ethernet to my desktop WinXP SP2 machine). DHCP is enabled and by default
    >> the DHCP server gives out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2, end IP is
    >> 192.168.1.254.
    >>
    >> I've got a Netgear MA521 PCMCIA wireless card adaptor in my laptop.
    >> According to the Netgear configuration utility, the laptop (or perhaps,
    >> more properly, the wireless card) sees the router - "Link" LED is lit,
    >> Signal Strength is 98%, Link Quality is 97% - but it doesn't get an IP
    >> address, or at least not a correct one (ipconfig shows 169.254.157.169 -
    >> where the hell did that come from???).
    >>
    >> From a command prompt, ipconfig/release says no action can be taken (for
    >> some reason that I can't remember) and ipconfig/renew says that DHCP
    >> server is unreachable and times out.
    >>
    >> Looking at the "Wireless Clients Table" of the router, it shows the MAC
    >> address of the card in the laptop and time connected. So, to summarize,
    >> wireless router sees wireless card in laptop and laptop sees router but
    >> doesn't get IP address from routers DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Mogweed.

    Valiant effort xyz but, as the saying goes, "Close, but no cigar" (

    "Obtain IP address automatically" was already selected. I de-selected it,
    rebooted, re-selected it again and rebooted, all to no avail - still the
    same. Any other thoughts?

    Mogweed.

  4. Re: Wireless router problem (DHCP?)

    "Mogweed." wrote in message

    > "xyz" wrote in message
    > news:RZOdnX73MbmDnanZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Sounds like your laptop is assigning a static ip address. If you want it
    >> obtain an ip address from your router then do the following...
    >>
    >> 1.. Right-click the My Network Places icon on the desktop and click
    >> Properties.
    >> or
    >> Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click once on Network and
    >> Internet Connections. Click once on Network Connections.
    >> or
    >> Click Start, click Control Panel, and then Double-click on Network
    >> Connections.
    >>
    >> 2.. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and then click
    >> Properties.
    >> Scroll to the bottom of the "This connection uses the following items:"
    >> and
    >> highlight (select) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Then click Properties.
    >>
    >> 3.. Click on the general tab. Make sure "Obtain ip address
    >> automatically"
    >> is selected.
    >>

    >> "Mogweed." wrote in message
    >>> I'm using a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (connected by
    >>> ethernet to my desktop WinXP SP2 machine). DHCP is enabled and by
    >>> default
    >>> the DHCP server gives out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2, end IP
    >>> is
    >>> 192.168.1.254.
    >>>
    >>> I've got a Netgear MA521 PCMCIA wireless card adaptor in my laptop.
    >>> According to the Netgear configuration utility, the laptop (or perhaps,
    >>> more properly, the wireless card) sees the router - "Link" LED is lit,
    >>> Signal Strength is 98%, Link Quality is 97% - but it doesn't get an IP
    >>> address, or at least not a correct one (ipconfig shows 169.254.157.169 -
    >>> where the hell did that come from???).
    >>>
    >>> From a command prompt, ipconfig/release says no action can be taken (for
    >>> some reason that I can't remember) and ipconfig/renew says that DHCP
    >>> server is unreachable and times out.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at the "Wireless Clients Table" of the router, it shows the MAC
    >>> address of the card in the laptop and time connected. So, to summarize,
    >>> wireless router sees wireless card in laptop and laptop sees router but
    >>> doesn't get IP address from routers DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Mogweed.

    > Valiant effort xyz but, as the saying goes, "Close, but no cigar" (
    >
    > "Obtain IP address automatically" was already selected. I de-selected it,
    > rebooted, re-selected it again and rebooted, all to no avail - still the
    > same. Any other thoughts?
    >
    > Mogweed.

    Panic's over chaps!! )

    It appears to be the Netgear PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop that's the
    problem. I've borrowed a friend's Asus wireless card and it's working a
    treat - picking up an IP addy from the DHCP server in seconds.

    Thanks for your help anyway xyz - much appreciated.

    Mogs

+ Reply to Thread