Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup - Routers

This is a discussion on Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup - Routers ; I've got a simple 4port ethernet hub networking my pc, router & xbox. If i boot up the pc first, then the xbox later, they are fine to talk to each other, however... If i boot up the pc first, ...

  1. Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    I've got a simple 4port ethernet hub networking my pc, router & xbox.

    If i boot up the pc first, then the xbox later, they are fine to talk to
    each other, however...

    If i boot up the pc first, and switch on the router afterwards, the pc won't
    detect any connection there.
    Is there something i haven't set up?
    I'm using a dynalink rta 100+ if that helps, but i'm assuming it's a windows
    problem as opposed to a router problem.
    It detects the connection fine if i switch on the router before booting up
    the pc, or if i switch them both on at the same time, but i'm told that it
    should detect it no matter what the order is.

    thanks,
    simon

  2. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    Depends... if you're using DHCP on the router, the PC needs the
    router to be running to assign it an IP address on the local network.
    If the PC doesn't see the router, Windows just makes one up. If you
    boot up the router afterwards, try running CMD on the PC and typing
    ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew - that releases your current IP
    address and it then goes out and asks a DHCP server to assign it a
    new one.

    "Simon" wrote in message
    > I've got a simple 4port ethernet hub networking my pc, router & xbox.
    >
    > If i boot up the pc first, then the xbox later, they are fine to talk to
    > each other, however...
    >
    > If i boot up the pc first, and switch on the router afterwards, the pc
    > won't detect any connection there.
    > Is there something i haven't set up?
    > I'm using a dynalink rta 100+ if that helps, but i'm assuming it's a
    > windows problem as opposed to a router problem.
    > It detects the connection fine if i switch on the router before booting up
    > the pc, or if i switch them both on at the same time, but i'm told that it
    > should detect it no matter what the order is.
    >
    > thanks,
    > simon

  3. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    Cheers heaps for that, it works.

    I just wish there was some way of Windows automatically doing it.
    I've checked the router and it does say something about DHCP, but i really
    don't understand DHCP.

    Thanks again,

    Simon

    "RobR" wrote in message
    > Depends... if you're using DHCP on the router, the PC needs the
    > router to be running to assign it an IP address on the local network.
    > If the PC doesn't see the router, Windows just makes one up. If you
    > boot up the router afterwards, try running CMD on the PC and typing
    > ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew - that releases your current IP
    > address and it then goes out and asks a DHCP server to assign it a
    > new one.

  4. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    hi guys

    i have connected four winxp machines on a router but i am unable to get
    access to the network resources.

    i get the message that i do not have permissions please contact your system
    administrator

    could you advice me what to do or what steps to take in order to gain access
    to other systems

    help
    jacob

  5. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    hi guys

    i have four pc`s networked on a four port adsl router broadband and the
    router makes the connection for the internet, i have shared all the
    resources on the network and all machines are under on workgroup "NET" i can
    see them on the network but i cannot gain access to either machine on the
    network (as i want to share a printer on my machines)

    all machines are running winxp prof, the message that i get is NET is not
    accessible you might not have permission to access the resource
    contact your administrator

    could anyone try to summarise what do i have to do step by step.

    i tried to run network setup wizard on all machines

    please help

    with kind regards success

  6. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    Sorry, i don't know, not that's what you wanted to hear.

    With accessing my xbox's hard drive from my pc, i had to create a
    user/password on the xbox, then map the xbox as a network drive
    (ftp://userassword@x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x = xbox ip address).
    I only have one pc at the mo, but there is a second coming (hopefully) soon,
    so i'll be interested to the repsonse as i'll need to do the same.

    Simon

    "Fish Printers" wrote in message
    > hi guys
    >
    > i have four pc`s networked on a four port adsl router broadband and the
    > router makes the connection for the internet, i have shared all the
    > resources on the network and all machines are under on workgroup "NET" i
    > can
    > see them on the network but i cannot gain access to either machine on the
    > network (as i want to share a printer on my machines)
    >
    > all machines are running winxp prof, the message that i get is NET is not
    > accessible you might not have permission to access the resource
    > contact your administrator
    >
    > could anyone try to summarise what do i have to do step by step.
    >
    > i tried to run network setup wizard on all machines
    >
    > please help
    >
    > with kind regards success

  7. Re: Router not detected thru ethernet hub after bootup

    Try this link for information
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/whole.htm

    Then check this...
    If you have Windows XP Pro's Internet Connection Firewall enabled, it will
    prevent your computer from being able to share files and prevent you
    from using several resources. To turn it off:
    1.. Go to the Start menu and select the Control Panel.
    2.. If you do not see the Network Connections icon in the Control Panel,
    click on the link for Switch to Classic View near the top left of the
    window.
    3.. Double-click on the Network Connections icon.
    4.. In the Network Connections window, right-click on Local Area Connection
    (the one for Wellesley as described in step 4 above) and select Properties
    from the window.
    5.. Click on the Advanced tab.
    6.. Uncheck Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access
    to this computer from the Internet and then click OK.

    "Fish Printers" wrote in message
    > hi guys
    >
    > i have four pc`s networked on a four port adsl router broadband and the
    > router makes the connection for the internet, i have shared all the
    > resources on the network and all machines are under on workgroup "NET" i
    > can
    > see them on the network but i cannot gain access to either machine on the
    > network (as i want to share a printer on my machines)
    >
    > all machines are running winxp prof, the message that i get is NET is not
    > accessible you might not have permission to access the resource
    > contact your administrator
    >
    > could anyone try to summarise what do i have to do step by step.
    >
    > i tried to run network setup wizard on all machines
    >
    > please help
    >
    > with kind regards success

+ Reply to Thread