making a home network - Routers

This is a discussion on making a home network - Routers ; Hi, I have two computers at home one desktop and one laptop. i want to connect them both to the internet via cable modem... now, my idea was to use an access point. why? because i don't want to attach ...

  1. making a home network

    Hi,

    I have two computers at home one desktop and one laptop. i want to
    connect them both to the internet via cable modem...

    now, my idea was to use an access point. why? because i don't want to
    attach the cable to my laptop i want to move around the house and still
    have internet... but my desktop don't have a wireless network card (and
    i don't wanna buy one).

    so, my question is is there a way to get a router or an acces point and
    connect both of them?

    maybe an access point with an additional port to connect one machine
    via utp? or
    maybe an adapter to let the router send the signal to a wireless card
    to catch up?

    regards,
    Jaime Casanova

  2. Re: making a home network

    systemguards@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two computers at home one desktop and one laptop. i want to
    > connect them both to the internet via cable modem...
    >
    > now, my idea was to use an access point. why? because i don't want to
    > attach the cable to my laptop i want to move around the house and still
    > have internet... but my desktop don't have a wireless network card (and
    > i don't wanna buy one).
    >
    > so, my question is is there a way to get a router or an acces point and
    > connect both of them?
    >
    > maybe an access point with an additional port to connect one machine
    > via utp? or
    > maybe an adapter to let the router send the signal to a wireless card
    > to catch up?

    Have a look at the USR 9108 USRobotics Wireless MAXg ADSL2+ Gateway has both
    wired and wirelass connections.
    Have a look at any other wireless product, most of them have both options.

    --
    Dirk Roos

  3. Re: making a home network

    Most garden variety wireless routers have four Ethernet ports on them for
    hard wiring. You'll need a router to isolate the wan from the LAN and
    provide LAN ip addresses to each computer connected

    wrote in message
    news:1143823659.385843.26400@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two computers at home one desktop and one laptop. i want to
    > connect them both to the internet via cable modem...
    >
    > now, my idea was to use an access point. why? because i don't want to
    > attach the cable to my laptop i want to move around the house and still
    > have internet... but my desktop don't have a wireless network card (and
    > i don't wanna buy one).
    >
    > so, my question is is there a way to get a router or an acces point and
    > connect both of them?
    >
    > maybe an access point with an additional port to connect one machine
    > via utp? or
    > maybe an adapter to let the router send the signal to a wireless card
    > to catch up?
    >

    > regards,
    > Jaime Casanova

+ Reply to Thread