Problems with two-router setup, computers can't see each other - Routers

This is a discussion on Problems with two-router setup, computers can't see each other - Routers ; Hi all, I've been trying to get this to work for a few days now, with no luck. Firstly, I have two routers because my WRT54GS does not always connect to my cable provider, most times it does not get ...

  1. Problems with two-router setup, computers can't see each other

    Hi all,

    I've been trying to get this to work for a few days now, with no luck.
    Firstly, I have two routers because my WRT54GS does not always connect
    to my cable provider, most times it does not get an IP. My wired
    router (BEFSR41) always seems to work.

    High level:

    Cable Modem -> BEFSR41 -> WRT54GS -> 2 wired PCs and 2 wireless laptops
    BEF's IP is 192.168.1.1
    WRTs IP is 192.168.1.2

    BEF is connected to the WRT with a regular ethernet cable from a random
    port on each router, not uplink or anything.

    Right now they're both in Router mode
    BEF has DHCP turned on, WRT has it turned off

    The LAN DHCP is working fine, the laptops connected wireless through
    the WRT get IP addresses fine. Same with the wired ones, connected to
    either router.

    I can ping both routers from any workstation, doesn't matter wifi or
    hardwired

    I cannot ping one computer from another. They all see the internet,
    through any ports, ftp, http, ssh etc. I can VPN out to my office too
    from all machines, no problems.

    The most weird thing is, I took off the WRT, plugged both desktops into
    the BEF router and they still don't see each other but both have IPs
    and both see the internet!

    Any help would be really be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  2. Re: Problems with two-router setup, computers can't see each other

    kebuchan@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been trying to get this to work for a few days now, with no luck.
    > Firstly, I have two routers because my WRT54GS does not always connect
    > to my cable provider, most times it does not get an IP. My wired
    > router (BEFSR41) always seems to work.
    >
    > High level:
    >
    > Cable Modem -> BEFSR41 -> WRT54GS -> 2 wired PCs and 2 wireless laptops
    > BEF's IP is 192.168.1.1
    > WRTs IP is 192.168.1.2
    >
    > BEF is connected to the WRT with a regular ethernet cable from a random
    > port on each router, not uplink or anything.
    >
    > Right now they're both in Router mode
    > BEF has DHCP turned on, WRT has it turned off
    >
    > The LAN DHCP is working fine, the laptops connected wireless through
    > the WRT get IP addresses fine. Same with the wired ones, connected to
    > either router.
    >
    > I can ping both routers from any workstation, doesn't matter wifi or
    > hardwired
    >
    > I cannot ping one computer from another. They all see the internet,
    > through any ports, ftp, http, ssh etc. I can VPN out to my office too
    > from all machines, no problems.
    >
    > The most weird thing is, I took off the WRT, plugged both desktops into
    > the BEF router and they still don't see each other but both have IPs
    > and both see the internet!
    >
    > Any help would be really be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin

    If I understand what you want to do correctly.
    The set up is correct, however with
    Cable Modem ->(internet port) BEFSR41 (switch port)-> (internet port)
    WRT54GS (switch port) -> 2 wired PCs and 2 wireless laptops
    BEF's IP 192.168.1.1
    WRTs IP : 192.168.*2*.1
    You don't have to, but I place DHCP _*on*_ for both machines

    The trick with the second router is to set it up off line (laptop Cable
    to switch port) with the alternate IP. Don't forget to disconnect the
    modem and 1rst router
    Then, after assigning the second IP, Setup the all hardware with the
    power turned off. Turn on the modem, wait 10 sec, then turn on the power
    to the routers.

    These routers will be different networks! If you want all the same
    network then you need a bridge between the routers. Or use a switch box
    attached to the wireless router.

    I personally find that the wireless is better as the first IP, as more
    and more retail wireless devices require an IP of xx.xx.1.1

+ Reply to Thread