Computer crashes network - Routers

This is a discussion on Computer crashes network - Routers ; Hi, I have here a Lan with 5 computers connected thru a wireless router DLink DI-624+, which is connected to an ADSL router DSLink 220E. I have access to 1 computer, the w.router and the adsl router. But I dont ...

  1. Computer crashes network

    Hi,

    I have here a Lan with 5 computers connected thru a wireless router
    DLink DI-624+, which is connected to an ADSL router DSLink 220E.

    I have access to 1 computer, the w.router and the adsl router. But I
    dont have access to the other computers.

    The problem is that one pc crashes the network when it is turned on, I
    don't know what software it's using, or if it has some kind of worm or
    virus... But when it's on, no one else can access the internet, or it's
    very very slow... I can still access the w.router web interface, but I
    can't access anymore the adsl router web interface..

    If I plug out this pc's cable all the network works well again...

    Is there anyway I can control this problematic pc, without having a
    server, and without throwing away his cable?

    Thanks a lot,

    Bruno

  2. Re: Computer crashes network

    "Neri" wrote in message
    news:1143574371.450705.100230@z34g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have here a Lan with 5 computers connected thru a wireless router
    > DLink DI-624+, which is connected to an ADSL router DSLink 220E.
    >
    > I have access to 1 computer, the w.router and the adsl router. But I
    > dont have access to the other computers.
    >
    > The problem is that one pc crashes the network when it is turned on, I
    > don't know what software it's using, or if it has some kind of worm or
    > virus... But when it's on, no one else can access the internet, or it's
    > very very slow... I can still access the w.router web interface, but I
    > can't access anymore the adsl router web interface..
    >
    > If I plug out this pc's cable all the network works well again...
    >
    > Is there anyway I can control this problematic pc, without having a
    > server, and without throwing away his cable?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Bruno

    A couple of things come to mind.
    First I would check the network settings of the problematic computer and see
    if it set to a fixed IP address. Possibly it is using one that is already
    being by another computer or even the router itself. If you are using fixed
    IP values, unplug the cable to the problem computer and try to ping it's
    address from another box. If anything answers then that is the problem with
    a simple fix, change address values.

    Try using another Ethernet cable between the problem computer and the
    router. A different port on the router would also be something worth
    trying. I have run into many partially defective cables or router ports
    that have caused symptoms similar to yours.

    Another thing to try is installing a free (for non-commercial use) copy of
    Zone Alarm on the offending computer. It is able to identify programs
    asking to gain access to the network. With that info you should be able to
    identify and possibly kill the offending program. It's possible the program
    will help you identify a previously unknown, to you, virus or Trojan horse
    infection that is trying to spread.

+ Reply to Thread