Wireless networking cameras - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless networking cameras - Routers ; I am trying to get get an SNC-M1W Sony camera to work on our network. The instructions say it works only with certain routers. Why do I need a router at all? We are only going to access the camera ...

  1. Wireless networking cameras

    I am trying to get get an SNC-M1W Sony camera to work on our network.

    The instructions say it works only with certain routers. Why do I need a
    router at all?

    We are only going to access the camera in-house and would like to hook it up
    so we can access it internally or via a VPN (which would obviously be using
    the same subnet).

    We can't seem to get it to work using an Access Point (Netgear is what we
    are using at the moment).

    If we use a router, which we tried first to use inside our network, we would
    get a new private address that we can't access from our internal network.
    For example, our internal network is 10.0.0.x, but if we use a router, we
    would get a new network, such as 192.168.122.x. The internal machines have
    no access to this network. Their gateway is 10.0.0.254. How would we get
    access to the camera's if this is the case?

    If we use an access point, we would be on the same network.

    Thanks,

    Tom

  2. Re: Wireless networking cameras

    > The instructions say it works only with certain routers.

    I wonder what the above means. Perhaps it's referring to the wireless
    protocol.

    > For example, our internal network is 10.0.0.x, but if we use a router, we
    > would get a new network, such as 192.168.122.x. The internal machines

    have
    > no access to this network. Their gateway is 10.0.0.254.

    The routers must be properly configured. Let's say you've got the following
    topology.

    (isp)__[r1:nat/router]__(10.0.0.0/24)__[r2:router]__(192.168.122.0/24)

    First, you want to make sure that r2 is not performing nat. Nat should only
    be performed at the edge of your network. 192.168.122.0/24 is remote to r1.
    As far as r1 is concerned traffic detined for 192.168.122.0/24 matches the
    default route to the isp. You'll need a static route on r1 to reach
    192.168.122.0/24. You'll also need to use a stateful name resolution
    protocol such as DNS or WINS. NetBIOS will not work accross broadcast
    domains.

+ Reply to Thread