Networking 2 buildings - Routers

This is a discussion on Networking 2 buildings - Routers ; In building #1. I have a cable modem hooked into a Netgear wireless router. The signal strenghth in building #2 is not strong enough.(Probably due to the block wall contruction of building #1, and no windows on the side facing ...

  1. Networking 2 buildings

    In building #1. I have a cable modem hooked into a Netgear wireless
    router.

    The signal strenghth in building #2 is not strong enough.(Probably due
    to the block wall contruction of building #1, and no windows on the
    side facing building #2).

    There is an existing phone cable bundle(10 spare wires) running from
    building to building.
    The distance of this cable is appox. 130ft.

    I need to hook up 2 more computers in building #2.

    Is there anyway to use the existing phone wires to run a cat5 hookup
    either to a new wireless router or directly into the 2 computers.

    Would the new router, hook directly into one of the 4 ports on the
    existing router.???

    Do I need a new router at all.????

  2. Re: Networking 2 buildings

    If the wires in the phone cable are not twisted you'll have problems, but if
    they are, you can run an Ethernet 8 wire setup to a switch or wireless
    access point in the other building, but not a router, or you could use a
    router but disable the DHCP. In either case you just plug the rj45 into your
    current router uplink port and into a lan port on the switch or access point
    on the other end

    "UPNDOWN" wrote in message
    news:1143393405.157721.152250@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > In building #1. I have a cable modem hooked into a Netgear wireless
    > router.
    >
    > The signal strenghth in building #2 is not strong enough.(Probably due
    > to the block wall contruction of building #1, and no windows on the
    > side facing building #2).
    >
    > There is an existing phone cable bundle(10 spare wires) running from
    > building to building.
    > The distance of this cable is appox. 130ft.
    >
    > I need to hook up 2 more computers in building #2.
    >
    > Is there anyway to use the existing phone wires to run a cat5 hookup
    > either to a new wireless router or directly into the 2 computers.
    >
    > Would the new router, hook directly into one of the 4 ports on the
    > existing router.???
    >
    > Do I need a new router at all.????

  3. Re: Networking 2 buildings

    "UPNDOWN" wrote in message
    news:1143393405.157721.152250@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com
    > In building #1. I have a cable modem hooked into a Netgear
    > wireless
    > router.
    >
    > The signal strenghth in building #2 is not strong
    > enough.(Probably
    > due to the block wall contruction of building #1, and no
    > windows on
    > the side facing building #2).
    >
    > There is an existing phone cable bundle(10 spare wires) running
    > from
    > building to building.
    > The distance of this cable is appox. 130ft.
    >
    > I need to hook up 2 more computers in building #2.
    >
    > Is there anyway to use the existing phone wires to run a cat5
    > hookup
    > either to a new wireless router or directly into the 2
    > computers.
    >
    > Would the new router, hook directly into one of the 4 ports on
    > the
    > existing router.???
    >
    > Do I need a new router at all.????

    The telephone cable between buildings is probably not Cat 5, but
    if it is all you need is a switch in building 2 not a router.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: Networking 2 buildings

    Looks like everyone is advising against the use of lesser than category five
    cabling, but I say go for it. I've made patch cables with cat 3 that
    function flawlessly. Crimp on a couple of rj45s and place a switch in
    building two. See how it goes.

  5. Re: Networking 2 buildings

    Cat3 is rated for 10Mb
    Cat5 is rated for 100Mb

    "Dom" wrote in message
    news:44274cff$0$16468$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > Looks like everyone is advising against the use of lesser than category
    > five
    > cabling, but I say go for it. I've made patch cables with cat 3 that
    > function flawlessly. Crimp on a couple of rj45s and place a switch in
    > building two. See how it goes.

  6. Re: Networking 2 buildings

    "UPNDOWN" wrote in message
    news:1143393405.157721.152250@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > In building #1. I have a cable modem hooked into a Netgear wireless
    > router.
    >
    > The signal strenghth in building #2 is not strong enough.(Probably due
    > to the block wall contruction of building #1, and no windows on the
    > side facing building #2).
    >
    > There is an existing phone cable bundle(10 spare wires) running from
    > building to building.
    > The distance of this cable is appox. 130ft.
    >
    > I need to hook up 2 more computers in building #2.
    >
    > Is there anyway to use the existing phone wires to run a cat5 hookup
    > either to a new wireless router or directly into the 2 computers.
    >
    > Would the new router, hook directly into one of the 4 ports on the
    > existing router.???
    >
    > Do I need a new router at all.????

    If your router supports external antenna connections, hopefully two, you can
    mount an external antenna to the outside of the wall or put a dipole antenna
    on the roof and aim it at building #2. Run one building from that antenna
    feed and use the remaining original antenna for building #1.

+ Reply to Thread