Unable to access shared printers - Routers

This is a discussion on Unable to access shared printers - Routers ; We have three PCs (all running WinXP), and a Linksys router/ADSL modem, which is connected to the broadband line. My PC is wired to the router. I have two printers connected to the PC, both set as shared. The second ...

  1. Unable to access shared printers

    We have three PCs (all running WinXP), and a Linksys router/ADSL modem,
    which is connected to the broadband line.

    My PC is wired to the router. I have two printers connected to the PC, both
    set as shared.

    The second PC (a laptop) is wired to the router. It connects to the internet
    gateway fine, and can see and print to the two shared printers.

    The third PC (a desktop) has a USB wireless adaptor. It connects to the
    internet gateway fine, but it can't detect or connect to the two shared
    printers (or shared folders on my PC, but that's not a problem).

    I've run the Windows XP Network setup wizard on all of them. I've made sure
    Windows File and Printer Sharing is enabled on all of them. I've turned off
    Windows XP Firewall on all of them. When I look at "view workgroup
    computers" on my PC I can see all three, so they're logging onto the
    workgroup okay.

    Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

    Many thanks for any help
    Phil Bixby

  2. Re: Unable to access shared printers

    Be sure 'Client for Microsoft Networks”, "File and Printer Sharing” and
    “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” are all installed. You can do this by going to
    the “Control Panel”, click on “Network Connections”, then right click on
    “Local area Connection” and select “Properties”. If any of the three
    connections types are missing, add them by clicking on the install button.

    Here’s a link to a Microsoft’s “How to troubleshoot home networking in
    Windows XP”

    "Phil Bixby" wrote in message
    > We have three PCs (all running WinXP), and a Linksys router/ADSL modem,
    > which is connected to the broadband line.
    >
    > My PC is wired to the router. I have two printers connected to the PC,
    > both
    > set as shared.
    >
    > The second PC (a laptop) is wired to the router. It connects to the
    > internet
    > gateway fine, and can see and print to the two shared printers.
    >
    > The third PC (a desktop) has a USB wireless adaptor. It connects to the
    > internet gateway fine, but it can't detect or connect to the two shared
    > printers (or shared folders on my PC, but that's not a problem).
    >
    > I've run the Windows XP Network setup wizard on all of them. I've made
    > sure
    > Windows File and Printer Sharing is enabled on all of them. I've turned
    > off
    > Windows XP Firewall on all of them. When I look at "view workgroup
    > computers" on my PC I can see all three, so they're logging onto the
    > workgroup okay.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help
    > Phil Bixby

+ Reply to Thread