File sharing and printer problems plz help! - Routers

This is a discussion on File sharing and printer problems plz help! - Routers ; I have just wired two computers together with a linksys router. I configured them and both have access to the internet and so on. The problem is one of the computers cant see the printer or each other. I wanted ...

  1. File sharing and printer problems plz help!

    I have just wired two computers together with a linksys router. I
    configured them and both have access to the internet and so on. The problem
    is one of the computers cant see the printer or each other. I wanted to be
    able to send files to one another. Music, pictures and documents ....ect.
    I remember my father before he passed away. He networked three home
    computers that where able to send files and so on by just right clicking say
    a picture and you would get a option "send to" ---> "any folder" ---> then
    you would get and option to send the file to the pc named "whatever". I
    don't Have that option and need detailed help thanks. I'm not a complete
    fool I just never had my dad explain this part of it to me before he passed
    away.

    Again thanks for any help offered.

  2. Re: File sharing and printer problems plz help!

    A little bit more info would help:
    What is you OS?
    Do you have the same username and password onto both pc's?

    Rgds,
    Jimmy

    "{AGUT}ODIN" schreef in bericht
    newsnYUf.41510$fd.16618@read2.cgocable.net...
    >I have just wired two computers together with a linksys router. I
    >configured them and both have access to the internet and so on. The
    >problem is one of the computers cant see the printer or each other. I
    >wanted to be able to send files to one another. Music, pictures and
    >documents ....ect. I remember my father before he passed away. He
    >networked three home computers that where able to send files and so on by
    >just right clicking say a picture and you would get a option "send to" --->
    >"any folder" ---> then you would get and option to send the file to the pc
    >named "whatever". I don't Have that option and need detailed help thanks.
    >I'm not a complete fool I just never had my dad explain this part of it to
    >me before he passed away.
    >
    > Again thanks for any help offered.

  3. Re: File sharing and printer problems plz help!

    oops! sorry Jimmy. Both pcs are running win XP. each pc has it's own name
    with no passwords. At least I left those fields clear when I did a freash
    install of the OS's last night. I used the XP help to set everything up
    and the the internet doe's work but I cant get the two pc's too see each
    other to send files and share the printer.

    "Jimmy Kerckhofs" wrote in message
    >A little bit more info would help:
    > What is you OS?
    > Do you have the same username and password onto both pc's?
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Jimmy

  4. Re: File sharing and printer problems plz help!

    What happens if you do following:

    \\YourSecondPCName\
    and
    \\YourSecondPCName\c$

    (I know it basic stuff but i don't know how good your skills are ...)

    > oops! sorry Jimmy. Both pcs are running win XP. each pc has it's own
    > name with no passwords. At least I left those fields clear when I did a
    > freash install of the OS's last night. I used the XP help to set
    > everything up and the the internet doe's work but I cant get the two pc's
    > too see each other to send files and share the printer.
    >

    > "Jimmy Kerckhofs" wrote in message
    >>A little bit more info would help:
    >> What is you OS?
    >> Do you have the same username and password onto both pc's?
    >>
    >> Rgds,
    >> Jimmy

  5. Re: File sharing and printer problems plz help!

    Each computer in your home network needs to have a different name, and they
    all need to be in the same workgroup.
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network3.htm

    Sharing files
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network4.htm

    Sharing printers
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network6.htm

    "{AGUT}ODIN" wrote in message
    newsnYUf.41510$fd.16618@read2.cgocable.net...
    >I have just wired two computers together with a linksys router. I
    >configured them and both have access to the internet and so on. The
    >problem is one of the computers cant see the printer or each other. I
    >wanted to be able to send files to one another. Music, pictures and
    >documents ....ect. I remember my father before he passed away. He
    >networked three home computers that where able to send files and so on by
    >just right clicking say a picture and you would get a option "send to" --->
    >"any folder" ---> then you would get and option to send the file to the pc
    >named "whatever". I don't Have that option and need detailed help thanks.
    >I'm not a complete fool I just never had my dad explain this part of it to
    >me before he passed away.
    >
    > Again thanks for any help offered.

+ Reply to Thread