Router troubles - Routers

This is a discussion on Router troubles - Routers ; I am trying to get a Linksys router to work with my two Macintosh computers (350 MHz iMac G3, and 1.42 GHz iBook G4). My intent is to have the iBook connected wirelessly via the router, and the iMac connecting ...

  1. Router troubles

    I am trying to get a Linksys router to work with my two Macintosh
    computers (350 MHz iMac G3, and 1.42 GHz iBook G4). My intent is to
    have the iBook connected wirelessly via the router, and the iMac
    connecting via Ethernet to the router. A cable modem is also plugged
    into the router. So far, the iBook works just fine, but not once have I
    gotten the iMac to connect.

    When I have the TCP/IP set to be automatically configured in Network
    preferences (on the iMac), an IP number does come up; however, it says
    that I may not be able to connect to the Internet because it's a self
    assigned IP number. (Also, it has NOTHING at all under Router when it
    is set to get the numbers automatically.) I tried configuring the IP
    number automatically and manually putting in the Router number, but I
    still cannot connect with the iMac.

  2. Re: Router troubles

    By the way, there is another problem I have: sometimes the wireless
    connection on the iBook dies, and another network pops up in the
    AirPort menu. (The network I hook to usually is called Linksys in that
    menu.) My theory is that another nearby network is interfering.

+ Reply to Thread