Help! Need Router Recommendation - Routers

This is a discussion on Help! Need Router Recommendation - Routers ; Hi, my dlink di-604. but it keeps losing internet connection.Unplugging and replugging the power cord restores connection though. I have 19 pc's, one dlink 24 port switch and a cable modem (512kbps). All pc's use mainly Yahoo messenger with webcam. ...

  1. Help! Need Router Recommendation

    Hi, my dlink di-604. but it keeps losing internet
    connection.Unplugging and replugging the power cord restores
    connection though.

    I have 19 pc's, one dlink 24 port switch
    and a cable modem (512kbps). All pc's use mainly Yahoo messenger with
    webcam.

    I suspect the problem is that the router cant handle this number of
    pc's. Im planning to add more pc's in the future. about 40 pc's all in
    all. And also a second ISP for redundancy. Security and reliability is
    also
    a concern.

    Can anyone recommend a router that will fit my needs?
    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    are they wired or wireless
    wrote in message
    news:1142136562.793456.277190@z34g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, my dlink di-604. but it keeps losing internet
    > connection.Unplugging and replugging the power cord restores
    > connection though.
    >
    > I have 19 pc's, one dlink 24 port switch
    > and a cable modem (512kbps). All pc's use mainly Yahoo messenger with
    > webcam.
    >
    > I suspect the problem is that the router cant handle this number of
    > pc's. Im planning to add more pc's in the future. about 40 pc's all in
    > all. And also a second ISP for redundancy. Security and reliability is
    > also
    > a concern.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a router that will fit my needs?
    > thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    same thing hapend to me ive change setings on my router to

    frame burst from disable to enable

    beacon interval from 100 to 50

    fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2304

    rts threshold from 2347 to 2304
    wrote in message
    news:1142136562.793456.277190@z34g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, my dlink di-604. but it keeps losing internet
    > connection.Unplugging and replugging the power cord restores
    > connection though.
    >
    > I have 19 pc's, one dlink 24 port switch
    > and a cable modem (512kbps). All pc's use mainly Yahoo messenger with
    > webcam.
    >
    > I suspect the problem is that the router cant handle this number of
    > pc's. Im planning to add more pc's in the future. about 40 pc's all in
    > all. And also a second ISP for redundancy. Security and reliability is
    > also
    > a concern.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a router that will fit my needs?
    > thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    They are wired

  5. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    I cant find these settings in my dlink di-604

  6. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    It might interest readers to know that, as suggested by Al Dykes from
    another newgroup, I tried using two switches. 1 Dlink 24 port and 1
    Cnet 8 port. I distributed the pc's among the two switches. And as
    suggested by the Dlink website, i connected the two switches to the
    router. The 2 switches are not linked to each other. It seems to work,
    no more disconnections so far. Many thanks.

    However, I think this may work only for the current number of pc's. For
    future expansion, Im considering getting a commercial grade router with
    2 WAN ports and load balancing. Searching the net, I found 2 attractive
    options. The Symantec Gateway Security 360 and the Watchguard Firebox
    X50 as suggested by another poster. Any experiences with these
    equipments? Thanks in advance.

  7. Re: Help! Need Router Recommendation

    Invest in something along the lines of a Cisco 837 router and a catalyst
    2950, these should work flawlessly together and provide many features
    which won't come with the linksys.

    citylight104@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi, my dlink di-604. but it keeps losing internet
    > connection.Unplugging and replugging the power cord restores
    > connection though.
    >
    > I have 19 pc's, one dlink 24 port switch
    > and a cable modem (512kbps). All pc's use mainly Yahoo messenger with
    > webcam.
    >
    > I suspect the problem is that the router cant handle this number of
    > pc's. Im planning to add more pc's in the future. about 40 pc's all in
    > all. And also a second ISP for redundancy. Security and reliability is
    > also
    > a concern.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a router that will fit my needs?
    > thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread