wireless router configuration - Routers

This is a discussion on wireless router configuration - Routers ; I have a bit of confusion about the setup of a wireless router. Looking in the guide for say the Netcomm NB5PLUS4W, they state "To connect to your ADSL router, you need to have either an ethernet or USB connection ...

  1. wireless router configuration

    I have a bit of confusion about the setup of a wireless router. Looking in
    the guide for say the Netcomm NB5PLUS4W, they state "To connect to your ADSL
    router, you need to have either an ethernet or USB connection on your
    computer".

    Is this just for initial configuration of the router? Surely I don't need to
    have a computer permanently wired to it via the USB/ethernet. I'd like to
    have the thing just wired to the PSTN and connected wirelessly to the rest
    of my computers.

    thanks for your response.

  2. Re: wireless router configuration

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:08:09 +1030, "Neinstein"
    wrote:

    >I have a bit of confusion about the setup of a wireless router. Looking in
    >the guide for say the Netcomm NB5PLUS4W, they state "To connect to your ADSL
    >router, you need to have either an ethernet or USB connection on your
    >computer".
    >
    >Is this just for initial configuration of the router? Surely I don't need to
    >have a computer permanently wired to it via the USB/ethernet. I'd like to
    >have the thing just wired to the PSTN and connected wirelessly to the rest
    >of my computers.
    >
    >thanks for your response.

    I believe that requirement is for the INITIAL configuration. Once
    you have the configuration working you should be able to disconnect
    the attached PC literally forever. Future configuration changes
    should be able to be applied via telnet or http from your wireless
    connection (of course, unless you are toying with the wireless
    parameters themselves).

    I have done this with many different makes/models of wireless routers
    in the past including my own.

    Good luck.

    Bob

  3. Re: wireless router configuration

    Neinstein wrote:
    > I have a bit of confusion about the setup of a wireless router. Looking in
    > the guide for say the Netcomm NB5PLUS4W, they state "To connect to your ADSL
    > router, you need to have either an ethernet or USB connection on your
    > computer".
    >
    > Is this just for initial configuration of the router? Surely I don't need to
    > have a computer permanently wired to it via the USB/ethernet. I'd like to
    > have the thing just wired to the PSTN and connected wirelessly to the rest
    > of my computers.
    >
    > thanks for your response.

    The various DSL and cable modems I have used all required a hard wired
    connection to a PC for the initial setup. Then, I always removed that
    connection and connected to a separate router. After the initial setup
    you can access the router/modem via any computer on your network. I
    have never used a modem/router combination, but my guess is that once
    you do the initial setup, just unplug the PC and use the wireless AP.

    Good luck, jimbo

  4. Re: wireless router configuration

    You shouldnt need to ever hardwire your computer to your router if it is
    wireless. Normally if its non-wireless you plug in your cat5 into the router
    and into your computer.

    When they are talking about the USB/ethernet, they could be refering to some
    adapter to get a computer without wireless capabilities the ability to
    become wifi.

    If your computer has wifi already, and your using the wireless feature of
    the router it should be as simple as plugging in the router and hooking the
    internet line from your ADSL modem into the WAN port of the router. From
    there you should be able to detect the router.

    I think you are just misreading the directions, a wireless router that must
    be permanently hardwired to is an oxymoron and is really quite humorous to
    think about.

    "Neinstein" wrote in message
    news:44122a04$0$14238$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >I have a bit of confusion about the setup of a wireless router. Looking in
    >the guide for say the Netcomm NB5PLUS4W, they state "To connect to your
    >ADSL router, you need to have either an ethernet or USB connection on your
    >computer".
    >
    > Is this just for initial configuration of the router? Surely I don't need
    > to have a computer permanently wired to it via the USB/ethernet. I'd like
    > to have the thing just wired to the PSTN and connected wirelessly to the
    > rest of my computers.
    >
    > thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread