DI-624+ LAN Connections - Routers

This is a discussion on DI-624+ LAN Connections - Routers ; Hello all, I am new to this NG, did some reading in the prevoius threads, but didn't find the answer to my question, so I ask it here: I have a DI-624+ connected to the Cable modem. The router has ...

  1. DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Hello all,
    I am new to this NG, did some reading in the prevoius threads, but didn't
    find the answer to my question, so I ask it here:

    I have a DI-624+ connected to the Cable modem. The router has 4 regular LAN
    ports, and a Wireless connection. To one of the LAN ports is a switch
    connected, and on that switch are a PC and an Acces Point. 2 other computers
    are connected directly to the router.

    In a couple of weeks I am having a small LAN party here, and there will be
    more than 4 PC's here. I want to give them all access to the internet, so
    what I want to know is this: Can I connect more then 4 devices to the
    router, and let them all get an IP through DHCP and get on the internet? Can
    I just connect another switch to the existing switch (where the PC and AP
    are connected to), and connect all the PC's to that second switch? Or do I
    have to take another computer with 2 nic's, and configure a router on that
    PC? (like with linux somehow?)

    I ask this because I have had the problem that another switch (don't know
    the brand anymore) couldn't have more then 4 PC's on the internet at the
    same time (that were connected via a switch to the router)

    Thanks for the time
    Kind regards
    Jan

  2. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Jan cried out

    > Hello all,
    > I am new to this NG, did some reading in the prevoius threads, but
    > didn't find the answer to my question, so I ask it here:
    >
    > I have a DI-624+ connected to the Cable modem. The router has 4
    > regular LAN ports, and a Wireless connection. To one of the LAN
    > ports is a switch connected, and on that switch are a PC and an
    > Acces Point. 2 other computers are connected directly to the
    > router.
    >
    > In a couple of weeks I am having a small LAN party here, and there
    > will be more than 4 PC's here. I want to give them all access to
    > the internet, so what I want to know is this: Can I connect more
    > then 4 devices to the router, and let them all get an IP through
    > DHCP and get on the internet? Can I just connect another switch to
    > the existing switch (where the PC and AP are connected to), and
    > connect all the PC's to that second switch? Or do I have to take
    > another computer with 2 nic's, and configure a router on that PC?
    > (like with linux somehow?)
    >
    > I ask this because I have had the problem that another switch
    > (don't know the brand anymore) couldn't have more then 4 PC's on
    > the internet at the same time (that were connected via a switch to
    > the router)
    >
    > Thanks for the time
    > Kind regards
    > Jan

    Shouldn't be a problem, that model rounter supports auto sensing,
    provided the switches you are using do to, you should not have to
    use any crossover cables. Most residential grade routers support up
    to 50 connections so unless you have 50, I don't think you will have
    a problem.

  3. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Hello
    Okay, thank you for the answer. About the cross-over cables: When do I have
    to use a cross over cable, and when not?
    I thought I only needed a cross over when connecting a PC directly to
    another PC...

    Regards
    Jan

  4. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Jan cried out

    > Hello
    > Okay, thank you for the answer. About the cross-over cables: When
    > do I have to use a cross over cable, and when not?
    > I thought I only needed a cross over when connecting a PC directly
    > to another PC...
    >
    > Regards
    > Jan

    Yep, you do need it when connecting two pc's directly together and also
    when interconnecting switches(home routers have an integrated switch)

  5. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    I have a router connected to a switch and I don't use crossover cables to do
    that,

    Is that specific to only REAL switches and not the switch feature of a
    router
    or are most switches just sensative and correct for the use of regular
    cables versus crossover cables?

    "Rosco" wrote in message
    > Jan cried out
    >
    >> Hello
    >> Okay, thank you for the answer. About the cross-over cables: When
    >> do I have to use a cross over cable, and when not?
    >> I thought I only needed a cross over when connecting a PC directly
    >> to another PC...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Jan
    >>

    > Yep, you do need it when connecting two pc's directly together and also
    > when interconnecting switches(home routers have an integrated switch)

  6. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Patrick Britz wrote:
    > I have a router connected to a switch and I don't use crossover cables to do
    > that,
    >
    > Is that specific to only REAL switches and not the switch feature of a
    > router
    > or are most switches just sensative and correct for the use of regular
    > cables versus crossover cables?
    >

    > "Rosco" wrote in message
    >
    >>Jan cried out
    >>

    >>>Hello
    >>>Okay, thank you for the answer. About the cross-over cables: When
    >>>do I have to use a cross over cable, and when not?
    >>>I thought I only needed a cross over when connecting a PC directly
    >>>to another PC...
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>Jan
    >>>

    >>Yep, you do need it when connecting two pc's directly together and also
    >>when interconnecting switches(home routers have an integrated switch)

    Most routers sense the cable type and compensate. So, you can use a
    straight through or crossover cable when connecting routers or
    switches together.

    Good luck, jimbo

  7. Re: DI-624+ LAN Connections

    Thank you all for the perfect answers!