Which is better and faster? - Routers

This is a discussion on Which is better and faster? - Routers ; Ok I have a question. I have 5 pc's and a VOIP unit that have to be wired into my network. I have a 6mb cable connection. I am wondering what would be fastest foir all around network speeds. 1.) ...

  1. Which is better and faster?

    Ok I have a question. I have 5 pc's and a VOIP unit that have to be wired
    into my network. I have a 6mb cable connection. I am wondering what would
    be fastest foir all around network speeds.

    1.) Set one of the PC's up with windows 2k3. Run my cable modem driectly
    into that box via one ethernet card (10/100). Throw in another ethernet
    card (10/100/1000) and connect that to a 8 port gigabit switch, which all
    other wired connections will be plugged into. Then plug a wireless access
    point into that.

    2.)Plug my cable modem into a 10/100 router, and that router into a gigabit
    swtich?

    The pc that would be turned into the windows 2k3 box, has been throwing alot
    of packet collisions. So by using that NIC to connect to the cable modem
    and buying a new 10/100/1000 nic I was hoping to clear that problem up as
    well.

    ANy input is greatly appreciated.

    -Chris

  2. Re: Which is better and faster?

    Chris Stolworthy wrote:
    > Ok I have a question. I have 5 pc's and a VOIP unit that have to be wired
    > into my network. I have a 6mb cable connection. I am wondering what would
    > be fastest foir all around network speeds.
    >
    > 1.) Set one of the PC's up with windows 2k3. Run my cable modem driectly
    > into that box via one ethernet card (10/100). Throw in another ethernet
    > card (10/100/1000) and connect that to a 8 port gigabit switch, which all
    > other wired connections will be plugged into. Then plug a wireless access
    > point into that.
    >
    > 2.)Plug my cable modem into a 10/100 router, and that router into a gigabit
    > swtich?
    >
    > The pc that would be turned into the windows 2k3 box, has been throwing alot
    > of packet collisions. So by using that NIC to connect to the cable modem
    > and buying a new 10/100/1000 nic I was hoping to clear that problem up as
    > well.
    >
    > ANy input is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > -Chris

    I would plug the cable modem into a router, then the other five
    network modules into the router or switch. You could get a wireless
    router with four ports, or as you said plug an access point into the
    switch. This configuration gives each PC it's own connection to the
    Internet independent of any other PC on the network.

    Good luck, jimbo

+ Reply to Thread