Packet Collisions - Routers

This is a discussion on Packet Collisions - Routers ; Hey all, I am having an issue with my network. My setup: Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23. A basic 4 port switch connected to the router Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP ...

  1. Packet Collisions

    Hey all,

    I am having an issue with my network.
    My setup:
    Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23.
    A basic 4 port switch connected to the router
    Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired.
    On the switch there is a light for packet collisions. 2 of the PC's are
    connected to the switch.
    When the second pc on the switch tries to do anything network related I get
    massive packet collisions. This is the only PC that seems to be causing
    them. I have no experience in troubleshooting this type of problem or even
    where I should start. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Packet Collisions

    Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired

    Please clarify: you have a router with 4 port switch and you've got 5 nodes
    plugged into it?

    "Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I am having an issue with my network.
    > My setup:
    > Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23.
    > A basic 4 port switch connected to the router
    > Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired.
    > On the switch there is a light for packet collisions. 2 of the PC's are
    > connected to the switch.
    > When the second pc on the switch tries to do anything network related I
    > get massive packet collisions. This is the only PC that seems to be
    > causing them. I have no experience in troubleshooting this type of
    > problem or even where I should start. Any ideas?

  3. Re: Packet Collisions

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired
    >
    > Please clarify: you have a router with 4 port switch and you've got 5
    > nodes plugged into it?
    >

    > "Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I am having an issue with my network.
    >> My setup:
    >> Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23.
    >> A basic 4 port switch connected to the router
    >> Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired.
    >> On the switch there is a light for packet collisions. 2 of the PC's are
    >> connected to the switch.
    >> When the second pc on the switch tries to do anything network related I
    >> get massive packet collisions. This is the only PC that seems to be
    >> causing them. I have no experience in troubleshooting this type of
    >> problem or even where I should start. Any ideas?

    Here is the layout
    Router 4 ports: 2 pc's, 1 switch and the VOIP unit plugged in

    Switch has 2 pc's plugged into it.

  4. Re: Packet Collisions

    Use port 4 for your uplink, although I don't think it matters. Check to see
    that your nic's in the problem pc's are not set for half duplex

    "Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message
    news:NKSdnUozvcTt9ZbZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    > "RBM" wrote in message
    >> Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired
    >>
    >> Please clarify: you have a router with 4 port switch and you've got 5
    >> nodes plugged into it?
    >>

    >> "Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> I am having an issue with my network.
    >>> My setup:
    >>> Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23.
    >>> A basic 4 port switch connected to the router
    >>> Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit
    >>> wired.
    >>> On the switch there is a light for packet collisions. 2 of the PC's are
    >>> connected to the switch.
    >>> When the second pc on the switch tries to do anything network related I
    >>> get massive packet collisions. This is the only PC that seems to be
    >>> causing them. I have no experience in troubleshooting this type of
    >>> problem or even where I should start. Any ideas?
    >>>

    > Here is the layout
    > Router 4 ports: 2 pc's, 1 switch and the VOIP unit plugged in
    >
    > Switch has 2 pc's plugged into it.

  5. Re: Packet Collisions

    Chris Stolworthy wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I am having an issue with my network.
    > My setup:
    > Linksys WRT54g Ver2 flashed with DD-wrt firmware v23.
    > A basic 4 port switch connected to the router
    > Supporting 4 laptops wirelessly and 4 pc's wired and one VOIP unit wired.

    This line tells a lot:

    > On the switch there is a light for packet collisions.

    Are you sure it is a switch then? Most switches don't have that. Most
    HUBS do have that. Are you sure it's a switch and not a hub?

    > 2 of the PC's are
    > connected to the switch.
    > When the second pc on the switch tries to do anything network related I get
    > massive packet collisions.

    What type of NIC is in the PC? are you sure you don't have soething like
    a duplex mismatch? (such as: the card is running full duplex and you are
    connected to a hub, not a switch?) This would cause exactly what you
    describe.

    This is the only PC that seems to be causing
    > them. I have no experience in troubleshooting this type of problem or even
    > where I should start. Any ideas?

    Start by telling us the make and model of the "switch", make and model
    of the newtork cards in the PC's invloved, and what duplex and rate
    seetings they are set up with. (if set to "auto sense", tell us what
    settings they "autosense" to)

  6. Re: Packet Collisions

    RBM wrote:
    > Use port 4 for your uplink, although I don't think it matters. Check to see
    > that your nic's in the problem pc's are not set for half duplex

    I'm thinking it's the opposite - he states his switch has a collision
    light - most switches (esp low end) don't have that, but 4 port hubs
    usually do.

    I am guessing he has something plugged into the hub set for full duplex.

+ Reply to Thread