Uninstall home network - Routers

This is a discussion on Uninstall home network - Routers ; Hi Folks, This is my second post about home networking. I have ordered DSL and I am getting a router and DSL modem combined. I currently have a home network with Windows XP networking Wizard installed with a crossover cable. ...

  1. Uninstall home network

    Hi Folks,

    This is my second post about home networking. I have ordered DSL and I
    am getting a router and DSL modem combined. I currently have a home
    network with Windows XP networking Wizard installed with a crossover
    cable. My question is do I have to uninstall the current home network
    before installing the router and modem. If I have to Uninstall, how do
    I do it????

    Thanks

    Later,
    Malcolm

  2. Re: Uninstall home network

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > This is my second post about home networking. I have ordered DSL and I
    > am getting a router and DSL modem combined. I currently have a home
    > network with Windows XP networking Wizard installed with a crossover
    > cable. My question is do I have to uninstall the current home network
    > before installing the router and modem. If I have to Uninstall, how do
    > I do it????
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Later,
    > Malcolm

    I am no expert, but what hardware are you using for your network
    presently? ( I am being called to dinner, I'll be quick. )

    If you have a router connecting your network already, you could replace
    old router with new DSL router. But this does not sound like your situation.

    It sounds like you have just a pair of computers and a single cable.

    Connect each computer on the network individually to the router and
    follow the setup for the router. That's your firewall. It is between
    each of your computers on the network, and between the network and the
    internet.

    I am on windows 2000, but unless XP is MUCH different it is assigning IP
    addresses for you. It should be able to continue to do so without
    reinstalling software.

    good luck.

  3. Re: Uninstall home network

    I have a similar problem. I have a 4 port Hub setup that I need to replace
    with a D-Link 614+ (not state of the art but the price was right)

    I have 2 workgroups, only one of which is working. When I set up "MSHome"
    initially my floppy drive was feeling unwell so I was unable to create a
    network disk. After I replaced the drive I was able to create "Home," I
    could not use "MSHome" since it already existed.

    When I plugged up the D-Link I encountered an IP conflict between the
    default IP of the current network and the default IP of the router. Using a
    laptop I changed the router IP from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5, this enabled
    me to access the D-Link setup menu.

    I would prefer to run the D-link on it's factory default address so that I
    would have the option of resetting it if I encountered problems in the
    future. How can I "blow away" my original network and workgroups and start
    over with the wireless router? I see that there is a "Disable this network
    device" option in Network Connections but does this just place the
    workgroups in limbo without deleting them? I have searched for answers in
    Help & Support but have found nothing that specifically addresses my
    problem.

    I am running Win XP SP2.

    John

    "roy" wrote in message
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> This is my second post about home networking. I have ordered DSL and I
    >> am getting a router and DSL modem combined. I currently have a home
    >> network with Windows XP networking Wizard installed with a crossover
    >> cable. My question is do I have to uninstall the current home network
    >> before installing the router and modem. If I have to Uninstall, how do
    >> I do it????
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Later,
    >> Malcolm

    > I am no expert, but what hardware are you using for your network
    > presently? ( I am being called to dinner, I'll be quick. )
    >
    > If you have a router connecting your network already, you could replace
    > old router with new DSL router. But this does not sound like your
    > situation.
    >
    > It sounds like you have just a pair of computers and a single cable.
    >
    > Connect each computer on the network individually to the router and follow
    > the setup for the router. That's your firewall. It is between each of your
    > computers on the network, and between the network and the internet.
    >
    > I am on windows 2000, but unless XP is MUCH different it is assigning IP
    > addresses for you. It should be able to continue to do so without
    > reinstalling software.
    >
    > good luck.

+ Reply to Thread